Menu
Anthonyblfc
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Getting charged for extra data allowance

On Tuesday the 24th May my mobile data allowance was up. I had used 100% of my 500mb allowance. I was then charged £1 for going over, even though i haven't used the internet on my phone, myself, that day. I decided to go through all possible reasons on my mobile so I could end any app that was connected to the net. I also went on WIFI (location is off also) and made all background data restricted till my allowance is updated. The phone currently says "Background data restricted - touch to remove restriction".

Today I have been charged another £1 for 1kb of data usage as it "not in tariff". As stated I have turned everything off (including software downloads) and put the phone on WIFI, why am i being ripped off by Virgin?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting charged for extra data allowance

Hi Anthonyblfc,

just disable (turn off) mobile data on your phone until your allowance is refreshed.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In addition to turning data completely off as AlexKid says, I would also make these settings so it doesn't happen again in the future (these are for Android Marshmallow - if you have another OS, the location of these settings could be somewhere else / worded differently):

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data limit > manually enter your package's limit, or 499Mb to be even safer

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > When over monthly limit > select 'Disable mobile data'

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Anthonyblfc,

just disable (turn off) mobile data on your phone until your allowance is refreshed.

GAT7
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In addition to turning data completely off as AlexKid says, I would also make these settings so it doesn't happen again in the future (these are for Android Marshmallow - if you have another OS, the location of these settings could be somewhere else / worded differently):

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data limit > manually enter your package's limit, or 499Mb to be even safer

Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > When over monthly limit > select 'Disable mobile data'

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Further to the other replies, set your app store and o/s to only update when connected through wifi.

0 Kudos
KAM1979
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Anthonyblfc,

If this is still happening you may need a new sim card, sometimes the sim card can become faulty and start sending back false data.

It may be worth while giving a call to tech support to have a look into this, and I would request a new sim card.

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TFPOMR
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm obviously having a more data-heavy month that usual, and for the first time since switching to Virgin, I'm going to use up my allowance (I've got about 97 meg left of 2 gig, with a week to go).

From the posts above, it looks like I'll still be able to use mobile data, but will get stung by charges.

With previous mobile networks, I've just been able to buy a one-off bolt-on data bundle to see me through to the end of the month - or when I know I'm going to be out and about and away from WiFi. Do Virgin not do the same? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi TFPOMR,

unfortunately not Smiley Sad

If you continue to use mobile data once your tariff limit has been reached you'll be charged by the daily rate of £2 for unlimited data.

0 Kudos
TFPOMR
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In that case, I'm off.

They'd already annoyed me in the summer by allowing me to buy a data bundle for my holiday, but not enabling roaming, leaving me offline for a fortnight.

This weekend's task is to find another provider.

0 Kudos