Menu
miniandrew
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Found a Mobile with sim - can it be ID'd to find owner?

Hi. I found a mobile phone with a Virgin Media sim and a number on it (not a mobile phone number), but the phone is locked. I was hoping someone would call so I could re-unite it with its owner, but thus far nothing. Can anyone tell me if there is any way of identifying the owner from this sim number  or how we could find it's owner?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Found a Mobile with sim - can it be ID'd to find owner?

Give it to the police and they will contact Virgin and reunite it, Virgin will not give you the owners name or address, or you could wait for someone to ring it

Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All Sim cards should have a long number on them, which can be used to identify the "owner". If it's pre-pay, they probably won't stand a chance. I'd go hand it into a local virgin media branch, and get them to deal with getting it back to their owner.

Have you tried doing an "emergency call", and see if any "ICE- In case of Emergency" emergency contacts show up? I have one set up on my phone just for this very reason.

Alternatively... you can try and put the sim card into another phone and see if there are text messages / contacts saved to the SIM. Unlikely, but worth a shot. Then ring one of the contacts and get them to tell the person who's phone it is to call you back as you'd like to return it. If the SIM is PIN locked, you've got no chance I'm afraid.

Also, if there is a microSD card in there, it may have something pertinent to the handset user. If I recall, the blackberries have a 1GB card in there. Might be considered snooping, and possibly breaking some law of some kind, but I'd try every avenue to return a phone to someone if I could.

You say the phone isn't ringing, have you tried pressing the volume up button on the side of the phone to see if it increases the ringer volume?

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Give it to the police and they will contact Virgin and reunite it, Virgin will not give you the owners name or address, or you could wait for someone to ring it

miniandrew
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dannylau, the police stations around here are few and far apart so I suppose I could ring and let them know. Not sure I want to trapse around to police stations.

I didn't expect Virgin or anyone else to give out names or addresses due to data Protection, that's fine, I just wanted to know if it could be traced and then give Virgin the nod it had been found. They could let the person know themselves and give my address as I am a Virgin Media account holder for broadband etc anyway. Then if the owner wanted to contact me they could.

I have informed people in the local area where there is a riding school and looking at the phone's condition it might suggest it was a rider with mucky hands so maybe someone will come forward.

Thanks for your help, but be useful to know if that Sim number is how they could trace it.

Ta
0 Kudos
miniandrew
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just as an aside, this phone is a Balckberry curve. On the facia I noticed yesterday a small conventional handset with the number 2 beside it which makes me feel 2 people had tried to call it. This morning there is the number 4 so clearly the ringer is not getting through to the phone as a password is needed to unlock the phone.

can anyone tell me (apart from the obvious sound activation buttons on the side, if I can get this phone to actually receive an incoming call as you suggest Dannylau?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

Give it to the police and they will contact Virgin and reunite it, ...

Unless your police service is Kent, Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside, Warwickshire or West Mercia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11571614/Found-some-lost-property-Dont-hand-it-in-put-i...

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't bother with the Police. They won't ring anybody. And you'll have to queue up at the front desk for at least an hour, likely several. The phone will just go to a lost property auction, if they accept it at all.

If you cannot unlock the phone, then you could try removing the SIM and put it an unlocked old phone. Power the Blackberry off first. Then look for a phonebook entry on the SIM called "Home". Most folks have a "Home" number stored. Since this is a Blackberry and on Virgin it might belong to a teenager (who might not want it back) so look for Mum or Dad as well.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Enceladus1 wrote:

I wouldn't bother with the Police. They won't ring anybody. And you'll have to queue up at the front desk for at least an hour, likely several. The phone will just go to a lost property auction, if they accept it at all.

If you cannot unlock the phone, then you could try removing the SIM and put it an unlocked old phone. Power the Blackberry off first. Then look for a phonebook entry on the SIM called "Home". Most folks have a "Home" number stored. Since this is a Blackberry and on Virgin it might belong to a teenager (who might not want it back) so look for Mum or Dad as well.

One of my friends lost his phone in Kensington and the police returned it to  him

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All Sim cards should have a long number on them, which can be used to identify the "owner". If it's pre-pay, they probably won't stand a chance. I'd go hand it into a local virgin media branch, and get them to deal with getting it back to their owner.

Have you tried doing an "emergency call", and see if any "ICE- In case of Emergency" emergency contacts show up? I have one set up on my phone just for this very reason.

Alternatively... you can try and put the sim card into another phone and see if there are text messages / contacts saved to the SIM. Unlikely, but worth a shot. Then ring one of the contacts and get them to tell the person who's phone it is to call you back as you'd like to return it. If the SIM is PIN locked, you've got no chance I'm afraid.

Also, if there is a microSD card in there, it may have something pertinent to the handset user. If I recall, the blackberries have a 1GB card in there. Might be considered snooping, and possibly breaking some law of some kind, but I'd try every avenue to return a phone to someone if I could.

You say the phone isn't ringing, have you tried pressing the volume up button on the side of the phone to see if it increases the ringer volume?

miniandrew
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thanks for your help thus far..no luck with my own investigations although I can see the phone has over 40 calls to it since I picked it up. But it never rings.

I can't get past the the initial screen which has locked.

This is a Blackberry Curve 8520. Can anyone with one of these phones tell me how to turn the ringer on whilst the "device is locked" . I've run through the manual on-line, but I'm not so techi as to find these things. The speaker icon under the battery indicator top left has zzzzz coming out rather than the sound waves too so something's turned off.

With all these calls coming in, it's all so frustrating not to be able to answer them and tell them I have this phone.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think unfortunately that it can only be done via the profiles once you unlock the phone. You can try and press the volume up button on the right hand side, but I doubt it'll work.

The phone screen should activate when a call comes in however when on silent mode, so my only suggestion would be to prop the phone up somewhere near your monitor so that you can see it light up on a call coming in.

The last option would be to wipe the phone by putting the password in wrong too many times. It will wipe everything off the phone though, so you're probably going to lose all chance at getting the owners information off it.

Might be worth going on a facebook group of where you found the phone and say you've got it.

0 Kudos