Menu
JoanneSharp
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Exceeded Internet Usage

Hi there,

Just had a bill for £42 for exceeding data. I have paid for my daughters phone for 5 years now with no issues or bills for additional money. All the charges are one-off charges for £2, and are taken at midnight or just after when my daughter is asleep. Has anyone had anything similar?  I don’t understand where these charges are coming from and am very unhappy with a bill of this size particularly at this time of year.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Exceeded Internet Usage

PAYG internet is charged at £2/day for a set amount. If she has mobile data on and something such as facebook is using the data it will charge you for the data. also as its a daily charge that is why it happens at midnight.

You need to turn off mobile data on the phone to stop this happening
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

been there done that or at least my daughter has with one of her children

your package has a data allowance - thats been used up in some way - maybe not your daughter as apps on smartphones can and do check for updates on their own - if the data allowance has been used then each day that happens the £2 charge will kick in if data is used in a 24 hour period - midnight is just the cycle time

you can turn data off on the phone but sometimes the apps can bypass that and phone home - Virgin do [i believe] send a text to say the data is used up but [again i believe] thats something you have to set up - even that may not stop the app using data - certainly does not on my phone

you have a few options

1 - ask VM to turn data off on the package - thats total so anything that is there will not be usable

2 - increase the data allowance on a different package

3 - educate your daughter but as i say it may not be her using the data

4 - look at another provider - some - O2 i believe - maybe others dont allow use of data after the allowance is used up without consent

Tony

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

PAYG internet is charged at £2/day for a set amount. If she has mobile data on and something such as facebook is using the data it will charge you for the data. also as its a daily charge that is why it happens at midnight.

You need to turn off mobile data on the phone to stop this happening
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

been there done that or at least my daughter has with one of her children

your package has a data allowance - thats been used up in some way - maybe not your daughter as apps on smartphones can and do check for updates on their own - if the data allowance has been used then each day that happens the £2 charge will kick in if data is used in a 24 hour period - midnight is just the cycle time

you can turn data off on the phone but sometimes the apps can bypass that and phone home - Virgin do [i believe] send a text to say the data is used up but [again i believe] thats something you have to set up - even that may not stop the app using data - certainly does not on my phone

you have a few options

1 - ask VM to turn data off on the package - thats total so anything that is there will not be usable

2 - increase the data allowance on a different package

3 - educate your daughter but as i say it may not be her using the data

4 - look at another provider - some - O2 i believe - maybe others dont allow use of data after the allowance is used up without consent

Tony
robinoi
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can pay, what, £12 for 1 GB over a month, then bust the limit and pay £2 a DAY, but maybe only use a few MB. It's not only extortion, it's inconsistent because you're contracted to pay a set amount of money for a set amount of data, but if you go over you're paying a whack for unlimited data. It's a con. 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

it's called business.
0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

jamesofmerton wrote:
it's called business.

Moving to a provider that allows you to buy extra data is called consumer choice.

0 Kudos
Rmow
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am the same. Just had £93 bill for internet usage - when she wasn’t even using the internet - it was the ‘find my friend app’ that was acccessing the internet every hour.

I am cross because she received lots of texts from Virgin saying that she had nearly used up her data, and asking her to buy more data.  I am sorry, but I thought that meant that she wouldn’t be able to use data unless she bought more - why on earth would it suggest she buys more if they are just going to go ahead and give her more data anyway!

VERY VERY CROSS!!!  

I was also not given the 1GB data that I was promised when I took out the contract for her and my son.  I have tried to talk to someone about it, and asked to talk to a manager to find out what has happened, but the customer services people I talk to in India do not understand the problem and have not answered my question.  I was promised a call back and didn’t get it. If I had had the 1GB data that I originally bought, I wouldn’t have had this big bill.  If anyone at Virgin checks these posts, it would be good to hear from you.

0 Kudos
Rmow
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  We have turned off mobile data. Fixed to contract till August, but I promise I will be changing supplier then.  Maybe pay as you go is the best option.  This contract business certainly isn’t the right option for us, and I am cross that I was persuaded to go that way - I asked for the same Pay monthly package that I have - which is NOT a contract and easily changeable, and if I had been given what I asked for, I wouldn’t be in this position.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rmow,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you've been charged extra for exceeding your mobile data allowance. I appreciate this has come as a shock to you.

Some apps on smartphones still use mobile data in the background regardless of whether you're physically using the phone or not and they'll poll this continuously.

If you want to control your usage in the future then here are a few handy steps to take:-

• Turn mobile data off as much as possible even when you're connected to WiFi.
  • Set the automatic app updates to only happen happen when connected to WiFi.
  • Go through the applications' permissions and set the background mobile data as off.
  • Set a warning on your handset (is possible) so that when you get close you know not to put it on.

The Virgin Mobile My Account app will help keep a close eye on things. As well as the app, you can also monitor your usage via your online account by following these steps:- Log in here> Recent usage.

Regarding the contract, as of July we no longer have 30 day rolling SIM Only contracts. These have been changed to 12 months now.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos