Menu
Harpo9
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

End of contract

I've had my phone two years and having paid 24 instalments I now own the handset 100%.  Virgin Media have charged me a 25th instalment and are refusing to refund it.  This can't be right, can it?  What do they do with this money?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: End of contract

Until recently every network did that, some still do. 

O2 brought out 'Refresh' and Virgin 'Freestyle' where the cost of the handset is separate from the airtime contract.

Not sure about others.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Harpo9,

as you say it is there in their T's & C'c:

“3.4 At the end of the Minimum Term: We may contact you towards the end of your Minimum Term to let you know that the Minimum Term is due to come to an end. At the expiry of your Minimum Term we will continue to provision you with your Contract Allowance on a monthly (or other periodic) basis and will continue to bill you for the Charges. If you wish to change your Contract Allowance at the end of the Minimum Term then you can do so by contacting the Team but you will need to sign up for another Minimum Term. You will need to contact the Team at least one month before the expiry of your Minimum Term or any subsequent monthly renewal date for your Contract Allowance if you do not want us to continue provisioning you with your Contract Allowance each month. If you do contact us we will not provision you with your Contract Allowance but will continue to provide you with the Services at the rates set out for Pay Monthly customers in our Tariff Table until this Agreement is cancelled by either you or us in accordance with Clause 10.”

You can contact the "Team" to change your tariff or enquire about an upgrade.

If you want an upgrade, the new Freestyle Contracts are much better in regard to your current complaint.

They split into two parts, one for your phone and one for your airtime. So once your phone is paid off, you just continue paying for your tariff.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harpo9,

with the old style contracts once your contract period is over your tariff will continue on a monthly rolling basis until you request a change.

0 Kudos
Harpo9
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How could Virgin Media justify that? They just keep charging for something they are not providing!  Further, whilst I accept it may be hidden in some small print somewhere, they don't tell you that your contract is coming to an end, they don't tell you what you need to do, and even more amazing they don't even offer an upgrade for more money.  Shocking.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Until recently every network did that, some still do. 

O2 brought out 'Refresh' and Virgin 'Freestyle' where the cost of the handset is separate from the airtime contract.

Not sure about others.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Historically all mobile contracts with a handset have worked that way - the tariff was the thing you were paying for and the handset itself was inclusive to that cost. So when your minimum term ended, you continued paying the same price.

It's only with the new Freestyle contracts that separate the handset cost and the tariff cost does a change happen. Once you have paid for your handset with these newer offers, you then only continue with the SIM tariff cost.

For the older style contracts, you can tell when your mobile minimum term is due to end as this is in the Your Account site. It also tells you when you can upgrade.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Harpo9,

as you say it is there in their T's & C'c:

“3.4 At the end of the Minimum Term: We may contact you towards the end of your Minimum Term to let you know that the Minimum Term is due to come to an end. At the expiry of your Minimum Term we will continue to provision you with your Contract Allowance on a monthly (or other periodic) basis and will continue to bill you for the Charges. If you wish to change your Contract Allowance at the end of the Minimum Term then you can do so by contacting the Team but you will need to sign up for another Minimum Term. You will need to contact the Team at least one month before the expiry of your Minimum Term or any subsequent monthly renewal date for your Contract Allowance if you do not want us to continue provisioning you with your Contract Allowance each month. If you do contact us we will not provision you with your Contract Allowance but will continue to provide you with the Services at the rates set out for Pay Monthly customers in our Tariff Table until this Agreement is cancelled by either you or us in accordance with Clause 10.”

You can contact the "Team" to change your tariff or enquire about an upgrade.

If you want an upgrade, the new Freestyle Contracts are much better in regard to your current complaint.

They split into two parts, one for your phone and one for your airtime. So once your phone is paid off, you just continue paying for your tariff.

0 Kudos
Harpo9
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your responses people.  Apparently this has been some sort of 'industry standard'.  However, when I was with O2, and Vodafone, and T-mobile, I was ALWAYS contacted before the end of the contract in order to make a new arrangement / new contract, or whatever.

0 Kudos