Menu
oldfogey101
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

E-top up card doesn't work

I lost my original Top Cup card for my Virgin phone. After speaking to someone on the phone (asking in my local Virgin shop was a waste of time, the staff appeared to have no idea) I was promised a new card in the post.  This duly arrived, but, when I tried to top up my credit, the card did not work.  Another phone call to Virgin ensued.  Another replacement card was promised, which arrived a few days later.  Again, I took it to top up my credit and again it did not work.   Virgin appear to have all of my details logged correctly, so why can't I get an E-card that actually works??

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: E-top up card doesn't work

Hi oldfogey101,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us Smiley Happy

Apologies you've not been able to top up your phone using a top - up card. 

There are a few other ways you are able to top up your credit to ensure you are not left without any. 

> Vouchers

These are available from high street retailers nationwide anywhere you see the green top up logo. They come as a printed till receipt and you can top up by phone or by text. Once you've purchased your voucher either call 789 to top up by phone. Or text the unique voucher PIN to 789111 to top up by text.

> Top up by a credit or debit card

You can register your credit or debit card and you top up whenever is easiest for you. To start using your credit or debit card with us just visit Your account  and click on 'Register your Credit/debit card'. Or call us on 789 from your Virgin Mobile phone to talk to our team.

There are four easy ways to top up with your card:

·         789 - call us free from your Virgin Mobile and top-up from £5.

·         Online - visit Your Account to top-up.

·         On your mobile - go to Your Account on your phone’s internet browser at m.virginecare.com and click Top Up, or just text ACCOUNT to 80150 for a direct link.

·         Text - send a message for free to 789 222 containing:

- The amount you'd like to top up (between £5 - £50 in denominations of £5)

- Last 4 digits of your card number

- Last 3 security digits on the back of your card (or 4 if you have an American Express card)

- Leaving a space between each detail Eg: 10 9876 321

- When you're all topped up, we'll text you back to let you know.

- Tip: Save 789222 to your address book, that way you won't need to remember it each time you top up by text.

I hope this information helps but if you have any further issues, come back to us here Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
oldfogey101
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. However, it doesn't explain why Virgin staff keep sending out E top up cards that don't work. Why don't they work?  Is there a step that we haven't done, to activate them?  Do Virgin staff even know the answer to this question?  Everyone I've spoken to so far doesn't seem to have a clue about anything other than selling a phone.  Anything more technical than that, they don't appear to have the slightest idea.   I am aware there are other ways of topping up, but I still prefer to use the top up card.   Can anyone tell me how to get the E top up card to work?

0 Kudos
oldfogey101
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Laughable.  Just received a THIRD e-top up card from Virgin.  All details on it appear to be correct, yet, once again, it would not work when taken to a store to top up.  Why offer e-top up cards if they don't work.  And why can nobody explain to me why they don't work, or how to make one work?  Giving up now and going to get a phone from a company that knows what it's doing Smiley Mad

spell
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps it might have helped if an answer had been given to the original question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi oldfogey101,

I'm sorry that you haven't been given a direct answer to your question as to why all three of the E-Top Up cards haven't worked.

I can look into this for you, but will need to take more information from you.  I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the purple envelope at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Techie365
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I, and my wife, have had the same problem. After receiving 2 new top up cards each that did not work, having spoken to the help desk prior to each, I was told that since my sim was old I would need a new sim in order to get my latest card working. I questioned the link between the sim and my card and account, but in the end agreed to try it.  I received the sim, transferred my contacts to the phone memory, replaced the old sim with the new, and confirmed it worked by sending texts and making calls. However, I then found that a number of contacts were missing.  I then tried to use the top up card at my normal place, Sainsburys, whilst shopping, and as you've probably guessed, it did not work. Also tried same with wife's card after changing the sim with the same dissapointing result. Contacted help desk again, and after a load of flannel requested and spoke to a supervisor.  He said the they are having problems with the manufacturer of their top up cards and the magnetic strip, which should contain data re the phone account etc is not working, and that when the problem is solved they will send out new cards.  This was about 2 months ago, but to date no new cards received. 

The easiest way, and my preference, is to top up when shopping and paying for the shopping. When are Virgin going to sort this problem and send out cards that work. Please do not give me the answer given to a previous response to this problem. We all know what the alternatives are but still want to use e-cards.

0 Kudos
Techie365
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please see my reply under Techie 365.  Stop flannelling and give us a truthful answer. Is this problem going to be resolved and are we going to receive top up cards that work. Should the answer be no, I will be seeking to move to another provider.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And the original question still remains - unanswered
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Techie365,

I'm sorry that you are still having problems with your top up card. 

We will need to access your account details in order to investigate this further.

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos