Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (809 Views)

Data Allowance being eaten up

Hi, I have 1.00GB of Data Allowance a month but it gets eaten up really quickly so I end up paying an extra £2.00 each day thereafter.  I only really use Whatsapp and Pinterest and very occasionally the internet, but would not consider myself a 'high' user by anyone's standards.  I have checked my account and see it has hourly overnight records of 'Using the Internet' and also at times during the day when I know I am definitely not even using my mobile.  Have I possibly got something open which is nibbling away constantly at my Data Allowance?  Help!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 4 (1,538 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by DW1961
‎17-03-2017 09:35

Re: Data Allowance being eaten up

[ Edited ]

Hi DW1961,

many apps and the phone's OS will regularly check for updates and sync (email, calendar e.t.c) using small amounts of data if allowed to.

Even if connected to WIFI, when in standby your phone's WIFI may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure and your phone may then use mobile data.

You can look in your phone's settings to keep WiFi "awake" at all times if you choose (I have).

You can also restrict background data in the phone's settings, completely or just for selective apps.

If your mobile data allowance is used up, you could just turn it off completely until your refresh (unless you're happy to pay £2 each day).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 4 (1,539 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by DW1961
‎17-03-2017 09:35

[ Edited ]

Hi DW1961,

many apps and the phone's OS will regularly check for updates and sync (email, calendar e.t.c) using small amounts of data if allowed to.

Even if connected to WIFI, when in standby your phone's WIFI may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure and your phone may then use mobile data.

You can look in your phone's settings to keep WiFi "awake" at all times if you choose (I have).

You can also restrict background data in the phone's settings, completely or just for selective apps.

If your mobile data allowance is used up, you could just turn it off completely until your refresh (unless you're happy to pay £2 each day).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Joining in
Message 3 of 4 (750 Views)

Thank u everso AlexKid .. .. good advice so hopefully I can get this sorted.  And thanks for keeping it in plain English!  Am not 'teckie' at all but even I understand you .. well done! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 4 of 4 (9 Views)

Mine was doing the same. It was facebook playing videos while on mobile data. Change settings to show only over Wifi.
0 Kudos