Menu
Lisat28
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Credit check fail!!

I have been a Virgin mobile customer for over 4 years, always paying my bills on time, yet when I called today to upgrade from the Samsung S4 to the S6 I was told I failed the credit check how can this be possible when I already have a monthly mobile contract as well as a virgin TV, broadband and home phone package!!! 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Credit check fail!!

Virgin Mobile is having a serious problem with credit checks at the moment. Most of the time, the check isn't even being done by the software.

I'm maintaining a list of posts like yours on the superuser forum. From what I read, it seems that there's an explanation for what's going wrong, but nobody has gone so far as to tell me what it is, I'm afraid. Hopefully (I hate that word) one of the @ForumTeam will be able to help and get in touch with you by private message.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Mobile is having a serious problem with credit checks at the moment. Most of the time, the check isn't even being done by the software.

I'm maintaining a list of posts like yours on the superuser forum. From what I read, it seems that there's an explanation for what's going wrong, but nobody has gone so far as to tell me what it is, I'm afraid. Hopefully (I hate that word) one of the @ForumTeam will be able to help and get in touch with you by private message.

0 Kudos
Lisat28
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Gorf. Still no word from @ForumTeam so after reading a few other posts decided to call VM again. This time I was told that it's an internal credit check and to increase my credit rating the operator said she would send a form through to the office who would basically check my VM account to confirm there's never been any problems (which there hasn't) and I should call back in 72 hours. So we'll see what happens...but it seems so staff seem to know more about this than others as yesterday I was told there was nothing that could be done!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HI Lisat28,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties getting an upgrade. Appreciate this situation can be frustrating. 

It looks as though you've been put on the right path with your case being referred to the consumer underwriting team who will review this for you.

As You've mentioned they should be in touch over the next few days.

Let us know how you get on.

Speak soon.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Lisat28
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So, as requested I call VM back after 48 hours to be told the check hasn't been done yet and it's more likely to be another 24 hours...I called VM again today, to be told it's probably gonna take 7 days from my original call, and was advised to call back on Tuesday!! Really, why is this taking so long!!!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisat28,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry for the long drawn out process but the Consumer Underwriting Team do need to be thorough.

I've managed to locate your Virgin Media account and the notes have been added to that today. I'm afraid I can't divulge the exact information for security reasons but it says to wait a final 48 hours. So it won't be much longer for you.

Please be sure to keep this thread updated with the progress.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
paul67hood
Settling in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Absolute disgrace! Virgin Media....

Failed credit check for upgrade!!!

I have all these services with VM

• Two Mobile Contracts (My wife and myself) 
  • Mi-Fi
  • TV
  • Phone 
  • Broadband

Been a customer for years...

Tried to upgrade my phone today only to be told the credit check failed, completely shocking!!!

Although I was passed for the Mi-Fi device two weeks ago (which I may add I had order to get internet connection as VM could not install my services for 5 weeks when we moved home)..

This is the issue I had with this little bundle of fun...

• Delivered on the (17th Dec)
  • Device had used 8GB of data by (22nd Dec)
  • Device then used 19GB data by (25th Dec) - Tried to charge me £126.71 (They did remove the charges from my account) Thanks!
  • Complained to VM, was told to switch off device when not in use which they never told me when I ordered device! (26th Dec)
  • VM gave me 2GB of data (goodwill gesture) (26th Dec)
  • Complained again as they should have reinstated the 8GB-  gave me another 1GB data (27th Dec)
  • Complained again as still have not received the inclusive data they should have reinstated (28th Dec STILL WAITING for data)

I was given NO information I had to login to ZTE portal to keep tracks on data usage, only discovered this when they barred the use of device that's when I found out about the data that had been used and the charges that had accumulated...

Besides the trouble I have had I was still prepared to stay with VM, then I tried to upgrade my phone...which I explained at the start of this rant..

Extremely unhappy customer!!!

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I would just like to clarify a few points for you all

Gorf wrote:

Currently there are no issues with credit checks. Any decline that happens is for a specific reason im afraid. I know this because of the department I work and liase with daily. We wouldn't upgrade people or attempt to credit check any one if there was a known issue.

I have been a Virgin mobile customer for over 4 years, always paying my bills on time, yet when I called today to upgrade from the Samsung S4 to the S6 I was told I failed the credit check how can this be possible when I already have a monthly mobile contract as well as a virgin TV, broadband and home phone package!!!

As for the failed credit check. Loyality doesn't take any part of the final outcome im afraid . Even if you have been with us for 20 years and paid on time. The credit check references externally as part of your credit file. If the credit check was done internally for a handset the outcome may have been different but its how you pay your bills with other creditors that is taken into account. This is part of the FCA guidelines

Absolute disgrace! Virgin Media.... Failed credit check for upgrade!!! I have all these services with VM •Two Mobile Contracts (My wife and myself) •Mi-Fi •TV •Phone •Broadband Been a customer for years... Tried to upgrade my phone today only to be told the credit check failed, completely shocking!!!
this also applies as above If you wish to know the reason for the decline then I would recommend writing to the underwriting team. They would give you the reason for the decline.

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
defected_sound
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisat28,

I called last week and was told I had failed the checks ( for an upgrade) and nothing could be done but to contact Equafax. So I did that today...guess what they have no record of that check for that date. Then when I call VM back they tell me the check was not through Equafax, but internal! and the agent should of requested my credit with VM be upgraded to a C3 than I should not have any issue getting my handset upgrade.

What a joke their system is! Bye bye VM mobile after this year is gone. 

Can a VM representative at least look at my post and make an attempt at addressing it logically? 

beckgirl
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Instead of being complacent, why don't you listen to the experience of your customers who, like me, have had the wrong information added by the Virgin underwriting service. I was refused an upgrade despite being a loyal VM and mobile customer for 10 years and having an exemplary credit file. Virgin mobile has confirmed my account is up to date, yet upon checking my credit file today, I see that Virgin Mobile is showing my account as missing a payment in November and having a balance of -£1. My husband has just had to do battle with the underwriting service to get them to remove the information they WRONGLY posted from his file. There is no "thoroughness" here, just incompetence and appalling customer service.

It's a disgrace. I've not emailed the underwriting team to demand they sort this out, but I'm done with Virgin Mobile and am voting with my feet. I suggest everyone else who is suffering the same treatment does the same.

0 Kudos