Menu
PPL
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Credit Checks using Debit Cards

Yesterday I ordered another mobile contract and was asked to provide Debit card details including the card not present 3 digits for the credit check along with the Bank Account details for the direct debit. However I am an existing customer of mobile and broadband and this security was already established (requiring a password change) and I was not asked to give this card detail for the first mobile account set up.

So have I been asked inappropriately and need to cancel my bank card or if this the normal practice then what security is there for my card details?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Credit Checks using Debit Cards

I think it's inappropriate, but not malicious, I recently added a second phone onto my account as expected I had to jump through the credit check hoops,  it was only asked to confirm the bank account details, if your worried, then by all means ask your bank for a replacement card, only the security number on the back of the card will change.

sadly the training of virgin staff is not as good as it should be, there is a legal requirement for each and ever customer facing agent to pass a small test on what they must ask and should not ask for in the way of personal information, however as all their agents are multi service trained, it's easy to loose sight of that with all the other training for land line, broadband, tv, mobile, email, internet, tv anywhere and the rest of the stuff they deal with. When you look at what they are expected to help with its no wonder they are not as good as we would like, jack of all trades masters of non, on average Smiley Sad

0 Kudos

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Credit Checks using Debit Cards

I think it's inappropriate, but not malicious, I recently added a second phone onto my account as expected I had to jump through the credit check hoops,  it was only asked to confirm the bank account details, if your worried, then by all means ask your bank for a replacement card, only the security number on the back of the card will change.

sadly the training of virgin staff is not as good as it should be, there is a legal requirement for each and ever customer facing agent to pass a small test on what they must ask and should not ask for in the way of personal information, however as all their agents are multi service trained, it's easy to loose sight of that with all the other training for land line, broadband, tv, mobile, email, internet, tv anywhere and the rest of the stuff they deal with. When you look at what they are expected to help with its no wonder they are not as good as we would like, jack of all trades masters of non, on average Smiley Sad

0 Kudos