Menu
ProbableRubix
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Credit Check Fail

Hello,

I am very suprised there is not an e-mail address for these matters. I really dislike discussing these things on the phone as I struggle to understand sometimes and the online chat is always busy.

I am a current Virgin Mobile customer and I tried to upgrade my phone via the website. I wanted to upgrade it to a new Samsung Galaxy J3 with a tablet. I tried to do this online and was taken to a page that said someone will contact me soon, after it tried to check my credit rating.

I then phoned Virgin Media to try and do this over the phone. When an employee checked my credit rating, they said that they could not allow me to have the Samsung Galaxy J3 (and tablet) package and I was only eligable for the LG K3.

I said that this was fine and was still happy to proceed. I do not really mind having the other phone instead. What concerned me was that I was not allowed the choice due to the credit check.

I have always paid my bills on time during the 24 months I had my previous phone, prior to the upgrade.

Question: What credit rating company does Virgin Media use to assess the eligability of a customer?

I have been worried about my credit rating since I have been turned down for the phone I wanted. I contacted Experian and they said my credit rating was good. I am waiting to hear back from Equifax once they have verified my identity.

I am just curious about what company Virgin Media uses to get my credit score, as I do not want to be turned down for potentially something more important in future.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Ljones92998
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Credit Check Fail

Hi there,
I recently applied for a new contract with virgin media, I first had the Sony xperia e5 (for my husband) and was accepted, a few weeks later I took out another one for myself and applied for the Samsung s7 edge and was shown the same page as you, I rang virgin and they said my credit rating was at level 3 and it needed to be level 4 for my selected phone and that I could have the samsung s7 instead so I agreed. I do find this strange for you as you said you have a good credit rating, mine is very poor and I'm currently actively improving it Smiley Happy I think virgin may credit check with experIan as I have checked my report and my contract accounts show up here and not on my call credit account. Hope this helps!

Also you can get a free credit report from 'clearscore' to view your experian credit file and a free one from 'noddle' to view your call credit file, I know this as I have both and are totally free Smiley Happy

All Replies
Ljones92998
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there,
I recently applied for a new contract with virgin media, I first had the Sony xperia e5 (for my husband) and was accepted, a few weeks later I took out another one for myself and applied for the Samsung s7 edge and was shown the same page as you, I rang virgin and they said my credit rating was at level 3 and it needed to be level 4 for my selected phone and that I could have the samsung s7 instead so I agreed. I do find this strange for you as you said you have a good credit rating, mine is very poor and I'm currently actively improving it Smiley Happy I think virgin may credit check with experIan as I have checked my report and my contract accounts show up here and not on my call credit account. Hope this helps!

Also you can get a free credit report from 'clearscore' to view your experian credit file and a free one from 'noddle' to view your call credit file, I know this as I have both and are totally free Smiley Happy
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

The problem with credit checks is that if you have never had credit you don't show up on the radar.  I'm quite sure I would be turned down for a mobile phone because I've never signed a credit agreement, never borrowed at all apart from my original mortgage which was paid off decades ago.  I do use a credit card extensively but since the whole balance is paid off in full every month I doubt that would count either.  It's a funny old world.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron