Menu
authentic8
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Crazy Virgin Mobile policy on transferring mobile numbers

I got gifted a new SIM-free mobile phone recently and want to keep the number I have used with Virgin Mobile for over 10 years with my new phone.

I would have just transferred the SIM card were my old phone not using a normal size SIM card and the new phone requiring a nano SIM card.

I phoned VM customer services to ask if I could get a nano SIM card and transfer my old number to it only to be told that VM cannot do this. VM will only transfer numbers if switching from another network.

Given the above, it seems I could just transfer to another network and ask them to transfer my number and then, if I wanted, transfer back to VM and VM will then transfer the number. If they can do it that way, why not for an existing customer?

This is crazy. What exactly prevents this since I am sure it is just a matter of changing one or two fields in a database? It seems that this seemingly minor step is too much for VM on the basis that they do not value me as an existing customer - only new customers are granted that much care and concern. This is far removed from the Virgin Mobile I first gave my custom to.

Frankly, because of this intransigent policy, and because keeping my number is much more important than staying with Virgin Mobile, I will just change network so I can keep my number. I will, however, not change back to Virgin Mobile since, in this matter, they are being extremely unhelpful and causing me time wastage and inconvenience. I have no wish to face the situation again when upgrading phones again.

Before I do make the switch, I want to confirm to that VM are seriously not able to transfer my old mobile number to the new nano SIM card. I am on a PAYG plan which may be relevant but it was not mentioned as such by the customer services agent. I have observed several occasions in this forum where it was discovered that VM customer service agents gave out wrong information which was corrected by someone in this forum.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Crazy Virgin Mobile policy on transferring mobile numbers

Try and keep it simple - just state you need a new sim for your existing number but it needs to be a nano sim.

I recently changed to a SIM only contract but with 4G added and had no issues with the number being applied to my new sim.  The only confusing bit was that instead of the new sim card having a number on it - it simply said - Your number is - Up and running.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Magic_M
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, phone 789 again. That call handler was incorrect, as everybody has already said - they do issue replacement sim cards. I've had a few over the years (both payg and pm).

Only thing I'd say on the communication clarity front is that it sounds like you were pretty clear on what you want but to avoid ambiguity don't talk of transferring numbers, something more like "I'll still have the same number won't I?" might be better (IMHO).
Hope you get it sorted.

edit I'm still a slow typer lol /edit
authentic8
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I called back and rephrased as advised and the agent this time was most helpful. She confirmed:

• My SIM card will be replaced free of charge with a nano SIM card (with the bonus of an adapter should I need to use it in a phone that uses the bigger size).
  • The same number will kept with the new SIM card.
  • My call credit will be transferred to the new SIM card.

This is the exact opposite in every respect to what the previous advisor said. I've no idea what he was thinking.

My faith is restored in Virgin Mobile and I rescind my previous criticism. Smiley Happy (though it still applies to the advisor who gave me all the wrong info the first time)

0 Kudos

All Replies
CQ20
Up to speed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think they probably got hold of the wrong end of the stick. If you ask for a replacement SIM, it will be one of the combo mini/micro/nano types and you can use the nano one in the new phone once you have activated it.

Better still, if you can get to Virgin media shop, they can set it up there and the switch to the new SIM can be as quick as 10 minutes (but sometimes it can take hours)

0 Kudos
authentic8
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A replacement SIM isn't the problem - transferring my current phone number is.

0 Kudos
geoff1962
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin will send a replacement sim with your current number already on it
CQ20
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As others have said a replacement SIM will solve this. It will come with your existing number on it.

If you talked to 789 about transferring or porting, I can see where the problem arose
authentic8
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is exactly what I asked for - a replacement SIM, but I asked for my existing VM number to be transferred. I don't know how I could have been any clearer to get what I wanted. How should I have asked to avoid confusion?

The agent send explicitly they would send a SIM card but it would be a different number (the one preconfigured with the SIM, I presume). I talked at some length about how I thought it was silly that I couldn't keep my number unless I switched network. He was very apologetic that I would lose the number I had used for so long but he expressly said I could not keep the number.

I will call 789 again to make sure it was not this particular agent that was confused,

Incidentally, I know it is technically possibly to do this because they sent my mother a replacement SIM with the same number when they upgraded her at their initiative to 4G but she is on a monthly tariff, not PAYG. Perhaps PAYG does not qualify for keeping numbers? I wasn't told this, though.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try and keep it simple - just state you need a new sim for your existing number but it needs to be a nano sim.

I recently changed to a SIM only contract but with 4G added and had no issues with the number being applied to my new sim.  The only confusing bit was that instead of the new sim card having a number on it - it simply said - Your number is - Up and running.

Ravenstar68

Magic_M
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, phone 789 again. That call handler was incorrect, as everybody has already said - they do issue replacement sim cards. I've had a few over the years (both payg and pm).

Only thing I'd say on the communication clarity front is that it sounds like you were pretty clear on what you want but to avoid ambiguity don't talk of transferring numbers, something more like "I'll still have the same number won't I?" might be better (IMHO).
Hope you get it sorted.

edit I'm still a slow typer lol /edit
authentic8
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I called back and rephrased as advised and the agent this time was most helpful. She confirmed:

• My SIM card will be replaced free of charge with a nano SIM card (with the bonus of an adapter should I need to use it in a phone that uses the bigger size).
  • The same number will kept with the new SIM card.
  • My call credit will be transferred to the new SIM card.

This is the exact opposite in every respect to what the previous advisor said. I've no idea what he was thinking.

My faith is restored in Virgin Mobile and I rescind my previous criticism. Smiley Happy (though it still applies to the advisor who gave me all the wrong info the first time)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@authentic8

Glad you got it sorted.  

Sometimes using the right wording can make a difference.  You know what you want, but sometimes someone can misinterpret what you're saying, although by rights they should ask the right questions to make sure they understand what you're asking for.

If you need any help with anything else please feel free to post again.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos