Menu
chandy157
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Conversion of SMS messages to MMS

I have a new Samsung Galaxy S4 and have just entered into a new contract with Virgin Mobile.  

Very disappointed to find out from Virgin Mobile that they have set a bar of only 240 characters before SMS messages to convert to MMS, which are of course chargeable.  Having tried to alter this by various settings on the phone to no avail, I have spoken to a customer services advisor who advises me that this is a limitation that Virgin Mobile have set - nothing to do with the phone, so there's nothing I can do about it!  This is really frustrating as, as soon as I have typed over 240 characters (equivalent of 3 messages) it automatically converts to MMS and I then have to go back to edit the message or split the message to send as 2 separate messages to avoid incurring these costs.

I know from speaking to friends who also have a Samsung Galaxy S4 but are with other providers, that they do not have this limitation on their phone.

I want this to be documented so that it comes to the attention of Virgin Mobile as simply speaking to an customer services adviser is not necessarily going to bring about any change in this regard.  I think this is something that Virgin Mobile need to address for the benefit of their customers.

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Conversion of SMS messages to MMS

Hi chandy157

If you Google "samsung s4 sms converting to mms", you'll find it is a problem that happens with this handset across all different providers.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi chandy157

I think maybe there has been some confusion here, MMS conversion is usually down to your phone and the app your using, the conversion will happen the same if with Virgin or any other mobile provider.

If you type "MMS conversion" into the search box at the top of this page, you will find loads of posts with good info on the subject.

Best advice is to stick to the basic SMS limits, which is 160 characters with no emoticons.

BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
chandy157
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.  In the end I did actually call Virgin Mobile direct and spoke to a customer services adviser about what you suggested.  She very helpfully said she would set something up on the phone so that when SMS messages converted for MMS (after 480 characters), I would not incur additional charges.  I was able to activate this so, fingers crossed, when I get my next bill from Virgin Mobile, it will reflect this and there won't be any additional charges.  Here's hoping ......! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Chandy157 Smiley Happy

It sounds like my colleague has done a good job in sorting this out for you.

Please keep me updated with your progress. I'm here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
chandy157
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it would appear that alas, the app downloaded has not been successful.  My recent bill from Virgin Mobile came through with an extra charge on it, which was an MMS message that I had been charged for.  I spoke to a Customer Services Advisor and they told me there was no guarantee that the app would work - and this proved to be the case.  When I asked if there was anything that could be done, he said that in the 4 years he has worked with Virgin, that there was no way of resolving this.

He suggested that I contact Samsung about this as it was due to some restriction/limitation on the phone.  I don't understand this because I know someone who has exactly the same phone as me (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini) - with a different provider  and they do not have this problem!  They can key-in as long an SMS message as they want to without it converting to a chargeable MMS.

It would therefore appear I am stuck with having to edit my SMS messages so that they do not cross the 480 character limit or send two messages to avoid this charge.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi chandy157

If you Google "samsung s4 sms converting to mms", you'll find it is a problem that happens with this handset across all different providers.
0 Kudos
chandy157
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Some, but obviously not all as I've already indicated!! Thanks for the link - I'll look it up.
0 Kudos