Menu
Prometheus
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Contract misinformation

When I took out my SIM only contract some years ago, a friend of mine who is a Virgin employee offered me a "Mates Rates" discount of 25%.  This clearly appears on my mobile phone bill every month.

This afternoon I spoke to Virgin again because I didn't feel my SIM only deal was competitive any more and I wanted to see what else could be offered.

The person I spoke to offered me the following changes to my SIM deal, to take effect from 19th February 2017:

2500 minutes, 2gig data at a triple rate promotion so 6gig per month and unlimited texts for £10

He also said that the 25% mates rates discount I am receiving would continue and that I would not lose this as a penalty for upgrading my SIM deal, this would bring my deal to £7.50 per month.

However, I have just looked on my online account and the pending changes do not show the continued mates rates discount.

I have spoken to someone on the phone and they were not able to confirm the discount despite the the person this afternoon saying it would apply.  I only agreed to the new deal on the condition that the 25% mates rates discount would continue.  I was given this an email address but nobody has responded.

Please can you confirm if I a still to receive the 25 % Mates Rates discount and if not, why not.

Unfortunately the pending changes on my account do not reflect what I agreed to this afternoon.

The final monthly payment I agreed to was £7.50 for the following:

2500 minutes 

6gb data 

unlimited texts

£10 less 25% Mates Rates discount = £7.50 per month.

This needs to be sorted out soon.  If the new deal comes into effect it won't work on my old SIM but I am not registering the new SIM sent to me unless I have confirmation of the price I agreed with the operator.
Failing this, I find another provider.  

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract misinformation

Sadly mates rates and staff discount are not offered over the phone, there is a dedicated line for staff members to call to add or move this perk. Also once it's gone, it's gone, with out your mate still being on staff you'll never get it back.

If the agent was overseas they won't have understood

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know Mates Rates won't show on any contract information as it's not actually part of the contract i.e. the contract is for the standard offer. Mates Rates is then an additional extra that is valid as long as you're registered via a staff member.

Your friend that is the staff member will be able to check the registration site and confirm you're still link as a Mate for the offer. If you are then the discount will continue.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Prometheus
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've had and been receiving the Mates Rates discount for several years (probably 5 or more) and it still appears on my bill, it was on my last bill in January 2017.  It's not an add-on I'm asking for.  It's already being applied to my bill every month.

It seems as if I am now going to be losing this just because I am going to a new SIM deal.  

The person in the call centre didn't have a clue what I was talking about and that is part of the problem.

Also he offered it to me for £10 and it's showing as £12 on my pending new tariff.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What appears on your bill and what would appear on a contract are not the same thing when it comes to Mates Rates for Mobile.

Your contract is what Virgin Media are legally agreeing to provide you. That is the standard offer.

Mates Rates for Mobile is a perk of your friend being employed by Virgin Media that they are then giving to you. It's part of their staff benefits, not your agreement with Virgin Media. However it will track any tariff changes you make so you always get 25% off your current tariff deal.

Call centre agents have no control over whether Mates Rates is applied or not as it's managed separately. The only reason it might stop is if your friend removed you from the scheme, they stopped being a staff member and so your eligibility ended, or Virgin Media make changes to whole scheme.

However if the full price of your SIM deal isn't what was agreed, that's a different issue and so should be sorted.

0 Kudos
Prometheus
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

However it will track any tariff changes you make so you always get 25% off your current tariff deal.

That's the point.....it's not tracking my tariff change. All I have done is changed my tariff...nothing else.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

But you haven't had your new bill yet, you've had your contract. Mates Rates won't be part of the contract.
0 Kudos
Prometheus
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I'll see what the new bill says and take it from there...

0 Kudos