Menu
Dunky2k
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Contract Expired - Query

My pay monthly contract expired on the 8th September this year, I don't wish to cancel my contract however they are still charging me the full price of my initial contract that incorporated the handset.

They are charging me £41 a month for my call plan now.

Surely when my contract expired, the monthly payment would have been reduced to only what my call plan is now and not continue to take payment which was inclusive of the handset.

My allowances at the current rate if i just had a pay monthly sim would have been £10, so i've been getting overcharged £31 for the past two months, can they continue to do this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract Expired - Query

There are two types of contracts Virgin Media do.

Most contracts are now the 'Freestyle' type deal. In this you have two payments. One is for your tariff i.e. your call, text and data allowances. The other is for the handset loan.

With Freestyle once your agreed term for the handset ends, this payment stops automatically and then you continue only with your tariff payment.

However some phones, and more so two years ago, were offered on a basis where you paid one amount for the tariff, and the phone was inclusive to that price.This style of contract is how most mobile phone contracts have worked for a long time.

As part of the single payment contract, the monthly price stayed the same once your minimum term ends, and it's then up to you to take steps to change to a different tariff if you then wanted to do so.

Based on what you've said, you're on the older type tariff, so it's now up to you to agree a new deal.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Dunky2k
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes i get that, however i cannot change to these new freestyle tariffs as somehow they are not available to me when taking the option to change tariff.

I would have expected VM to contact me prior to my contract ending trying to get me to commit to a new 24mth deal but they haven't and now i'm paying more than 3 times what i should as if i were on the equivalent freestyle tariff.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Because Virgin Media allow you to change your tariff throughout your minimum term, the online options will still relate to the options available when you took our your phone deal.

To change to a current tariff that now excludes any handset element, you'll need to call in on 789 from your mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos