Menu
Eigna
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Consumer Underwriting services

Hi. I too have 'failed the credit check' despite being a VM customer from the day they started in my area- all services (Croydon, Surrey) and having 2 mobile phones on my contract for the last 2 years (one just cancelled at it end of contract as it was for my late husband) I have written to Consumer Underwriter services (about 3 weeks ago - yes I know it can take up to 30days) BUT I went to Equifax paid the £2 for a basic check and then paid a further £14.95 for the full check. It states I have a score of 501 (considered excellent against the National average according to Equifax!) with everything either up to date or settled. Today I checked my credit file again. It shows that Equifax did a search but NOT VM!!  There's no point that I can see of ringing VM as previously I've been told that customer services do not have access to why etc.  Is there not a phone number or email address for Consumer Underwriters?  I am getting impatient as this is clearly a VM problem not mine! Smiley Mad

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 89
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Consumer Underwriting services

Thats great news Eigna!

Glad that you managed to get your phone Smiley Happy

Yea I noticed as well that the number sent in the email isnt really a tracking number its just a reference number. Not sure on why they couldnt just give a tracking number Smiley Frustrated

But I do agree, there must be a good bulk of customers that would just give up and go elsewhere, bad business for Virgin.

The artist formally known as Swt4ajp

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eigna,

I am in the exactally the same boat, been with Virgin Media for the past 5 years, mobile customer on payg for more than I can count and I went to upgrade my contract last night and buy out my wifes contract to upgrade hers at the same time and got told that I failed. and given the consumer underwriting dept address to write to.

I have all the credit reports that I need as well which say both me and my wife is above the national average and yet still failed Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Eigna
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 89
Flag for a moderator

I sympathise with you, still haven't heard anything (I wrote to them on the 18th April!) yet I see from a reply from one of the moderators to another, similar, post that they ( Consumer  Underwriters) are currently working on queries from the 8th May?  Hmm, I am seriously thinking of changing providers!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eigna,

I have sent you a pm

This will show in the top left corner of the screen with the red envelope.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Just to update this, I have been able to contact the CUS team and have been sucessful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Good for you. To help us all (if you can) can you say why the initial decision got reversed.

Credit decisions do not depend exclusively on published credit scores by the agencies. What seemed to do the trick for your case?

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 89
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure on what has over turned the decision but I have gone out of my way to purchase the credit report and then spent most of the week complaining and chasing things up.

I am thinking it isnt to do with the external credit report as when my wife contacted experian they said that virgin didnt even attempt to check her credit report so it must of failed on the internal checks

I did email the consumer underwriting (cannot disclose emails on here but can via pm) and they was very quick otherwise I would of still been waiting for a reply back via letter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Perfect reply. Internal credit checking rules are not something that mere mortals like us will ever be privy to. The Financial Conduct Authority have imposed stricter rules which explains some of this nonsense (VM aren't providing mortgages). So be it.

What we do need to get across is a recognition by VM that when they get a query like yours they act on it quickly and effectively.

No long term VM customer should ever have had to experience the run around you were put through.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Eigna
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 89
Flag for a moderator

I have finally got my upgraded phone.  The Consumer Underwriters replied to my email Thursday (have never replied to my letter!)  and having  're-checked' manually they were pleased to offer a contract. No apology or explanation as yet!   Sales dept confused me and theirselves but after 2 days of calls I managed to 'pass the credit check' this time!!  and my phone arrived today despite receiving an invalid tracking number.  Seems to me that VM need a good shake up as they must lose many customers who can't face going through all this issue entails. My advice to anyone in this situation is persist, you can succeed even if like me it takes a month.  

Good luck to one and all

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 89
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thats great news Eigna!

Glad that you managed to get your phone Smiley Happy

Yea I noticed as well that the number sent in the email isnt really a tracking number its just a reference number. Not sure on why they couldnt just give a tracking number Smiley Frustrated

But I do agree, there must be a good bulk of customers that would just give up and go elsewhere, bad business for Virgin.