Menu
Cathy53
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Charged for group messages

I have had a bill for £12.40 and the next bill had already accrued £5.50 for 'picture messages' I have only sent 1 picture and that was on Whats App!

I called to question this only to be told that it was group messaging or long tests that had been converted to MMS.

I have been with Virgin for 15 years and have NEVER been charged for group messages or long texts.

I cant see any thing in the contract to say this, and was not told at the time that this was the case. I have managed to get a refund up til now but I can't believe they can charge when I have 'unlimited texts' Surely a text to 3 people whether you sent it in one go or 3 times is the same?

Has anyone else had this? And how can I find out how many character in a sms is allowed as a single text? I have a Sony Experia Z5.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for group messages

Hi Cathy53,

single text messages are limited to 160 characters including spaces, regardless of the device.

An SMS longer than 160 characters will either be split into several SMS or converted to an MMS. The device is responsible for how this process is handled.

As this is new to you, have you changed your phone recently or altered any settings or received an update?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Cathy53
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that,

How do I find out what the limit is on my device?

Cathy53

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cathy53,

a quick Google suggests that you should be OK for up to 480 characters (3 x 160).

Over that and your phone will send as an MMS (and you will be charged). However you may be able to restrict it from sending an MMS (or at least warn you) in the settings on your device.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
Cathy53
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
Hi Alexkid
It is a new phone and contract, but I have had a contract with Virgin ofr 15 years and have never gon over my allowance or been billed for long messages or group texts so it is all new to me!
Cathy 53

Not sure why it is high lighted, or in a box! 

0 Kudos
Magic_M
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought - If you also have email addresses in your contacts it's also worth checking that the phone is not sending messages to an email address instead of the phone number. Texting an email address is done by mms.
0 Kudos