Menu
lornaecho1
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Charged for data when on wifi

Despite having data switched off we have been charged 36 pound on top of our bill..this is while connected to wifi, after looking on the forums this seems to be an ongoing issue a lot of people are having. Myself and my husband have spent a considerable amount of time on the phone to customer service , who completely ignore what we have told them, didn't solve the issue, refused to acknowledge there is an issue and then ended the call with a .."I've told you over and over BYE" ...I have never in my life experienced such shockingly poor customer service , to be spoken to in such a way and have a person who is supposed to help sort out issues, to hang up on you is awful,I currently have both virgin media tv, phone, broadband , have been a customer for years and now have virgin mobile ,I will be switching providers with all of them, My question is how much will I be charged for getting out of my contract early with virgin mobile. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for data when on wifi

Hi lornaecho1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. Sorry to hear you've been charged extra for exceeding your mobile data allowance. I appreciate this has come as a shock to you.

If your WiFi also drops in the background without you knowing then this could use extra data. Some smartphones also put WiFi to sleep if the handset is left on standby too.

Some apps on smartphones still use mobile data in the background regardless of whether you're connected to WiFi or not and they'll poll this continuously.

You can go through each app and see what is using using most data. You can set the counters to 0 and monitor usage on a daily/weekly basis to find the culprit. If you want to control your usage in the future then here are a few handy steps to take:-

• Turn mobile data off as much as possible even when you're connected to WiFi.
  • Set the automatic app updates to only happen happen when connected to WiFi.
  • Go through the applications' permissions and set the background mobile data as off.
  • Set a warning on your mobile data so that when you get close you know not to put it on.

I'm afraid I can't give you a figure for exiting your contract but it'll be calculated with the cost of your handset per month times by the number of months remaining.

Hope this clears things up a little for you.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos