Menu
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Change direct debit mandate

We have a PAYG by direct debit mobile. I want to change the direct debit mandate that's been running for years to my wife's bank account from mine. All the other family mobiles (2 x Three, 1 x Virgin) and our landline and broadband are paid from this account. In fact all of the household bills are paid from this account with the exception of this one outstanding Virgin Mobile on the original PAYG by DD.

I can't change the DD details online as I'm not the bank account holder although I can enter another name in the bank account details, if I ignore that. The website says under "Manage your Direct Debit":

"If you're not the only account holder or signatory on the account you want to make payments from, please give one of our friendly team a call on 789 from your Virgin Mobile phone or 0345 6000 789* from any other phone and we'll get your new Direct Debit set up for you. *Please note standard charges apply. Please check with your network operator for rates."

So I rang 789 and the rep refused to do it, citing data protection. The rep says that the meaning of your Direct Debit means a bank account in my name. This situation is unique to VM. After a lot off pushing I've been promised a paper DD mandate in the post, but advised it will be bounced if submitted.

Can somebody from VM please apply some common sense?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change direct debit mandate

Hi Enceladus1

Thanks for your query.

I can confirm that for security reasons we don't permit Direct Debits from a third party on Mobile accounts and they must be paid from a bank in the name of the account holder as per our terms and conditions.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And where exactly does it say that in the T&Cs? I was promised a copy but none has been emailed?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enceladus1

Sorry to hear if this is the case, you can see our Terms at any time in full as they're available on our website.

If you head over to our T&Cs here, you'll note the following is discussed under clause 6:

6.5 Payment in full: ...you must pay your bill by direct debit from a suitable bank account that allows payment by direct debit and must maintain an active direct debit if you Pay by Direct Debit...

As the clause states, *you* must pay your bill by direct debit and there's no sub-clause permitting Direct Debits by a third party.

I hope this clears things up Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos