Menu
user2000
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Cancel sim contract while keeping handset contract

Hi all,

Basically I have just bought a Samsung J3 with the Telly Tablet.  I also took out a £9 sim.

However I've realised that not being able to set a cap is a no-no for me (for various reasons that don't matter here).

Am I right in thinking that I can just cancel the sim tariff part of the contract (as this is a 30 day rolling contract and in any case I am within the 14 day cooling off period anyway) and I can just keep the handset and the Telly Tablet while paying this as normal every month for the 24 month "loan" period.

Surely this is right?  Or else the sim would be 24 months as well, not 30 days?

Just wanting to make sure I understand this correctly before phoning through to do this?  I don't want them to think I am cancelling everything, just the sim contract.

0 Kudos
JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancel sim contract while keeping handset contract

Hi mate, Basically there is no right answer to this.

When my mum took a contract out for my iPhone 6S in November 2015 I wanted to cancel the SIM card plan and keep the handset "loan" going, Customer Services told me that I would NOT be able to do this as BOTH handset and SIM needed to be paid for 24 months.

However, In January 2016 I cancelled the Direct Debit made to VIRGIN MOBILE and while they have suspended the number I had, I have not received a bill for the number since my last paid bill in February 2016, I am still paying the handset off to VIRGIN MEDIA FINANCE as of today and have 11 more payments to make.

Now whether or not this will affect the upgrade next year I don't know but this might solve your problem. Ironically now I am on Virgin Mobile with a 4G SIM only contract.

user2000
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, OK, that's quite insightful - I did think they are on shaky ground as they clearly offer 2 separate contracts, and one of those is the SIM only for 30 days, so it does seem a no brainer, especially as there are various web sites out there saying the same thing - that you are free to cancel the sim contract at any time and get any other provider while just paying the other contract off.  So although they do not offer to sell the handset (and in this case tablet) with the sim card, it is very CLEARLY separate contracts...

It does seems a bit strange if they would hold you to the 24 months on the sim because obviously that flies in the face of them trumpeting a 30 day contract on the sim!

Hopefully a mod will come along and shed some light on it.

JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

It is massively confusing like, as you say Virgin Media state that handset loans are for 24 months and the Virgin Mobile SIM plan is a 30-day rolling contract which you would think that you'd be able to cancel anytime, maybe I just had an advisor that had a bad day when I called but as I say since my last payment in Feb 2016 we have heard nothing about further payments or bills from Virgin Mobile in regards to the SIM only contract associated wih my iPhone 6S. Luckily I put it to their old 3G only £5 a month basic plan so if they did want a payment now it'd only be around £50-60.

In a way Virgin need to be more precise and either state that both handset (plus tablet etc.) and SIM only contract are 24 month contracts OR you can cancel both with 31 days notice providing the handset is paid in full.

0 Kudos
user2000
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well I will be phoning to cancel the SIM Airtime contract today.

It would be nice to have someone in the know post here to confirm what the position is.

Cable.co.uk seem to think you can cancel at any time...

https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/is-virgin-mobile-any-good/

As do a few other sites.

However, it does actually seem quite unambiguous now I have checked my online account - there are 2 contracts - one is for 24 months for the phone and tablet, the other is a 30 day contract for airtime.  If the 24 month one was dependent on the 30 day one (or vice versa) then they are both 24 month contracts which of course would result in unfair contract terms.

I'm sure (if it came to it, and I hope it wouldn't but I would have no qualms whatsoever in pursing it) the ombudsman service that Virgin use would no doubt side with me if I had to go that far.  Let's hope it doesn't.

0 Kudos
user2000
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Just so I am sure before I start an official complaint - there is NOBODY here in an OFFICIAL capacity that can shed any light on my query?

0 Kudos
JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Did you get the SIM cancellation sorted mate?

0 Kudos
user2000
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I phoned but trying to articulate my intention was impossible with the poorly trained customer service staff so I just sent a recorded delivery letter.

Ive been trying to duplicate my letter over the chat, just so there's another link, but it seems permanently "All of our agents are currently busy. Please try again later.".

I hope they are able to get this sorted, I don't mind losing the £9 a month for the 8 weeks or so until I have to get the ombudsman involved but belive me I'm no novice at that kind of thing so I will certainly take it all the way - the more I look into it, the more it is obvious that the sim tariff is a completely separate 30 days contract (and again, in any case I am cancelling under the 14 day cooling off rule).

Disappointing nobody in an official capacity is willing to help out here - a different story to the BT forums where the mods cannot be more helpful if you have a legitimate gripe.  I'm sure anyone else interested can draw their own conclusions...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hey user2000, 

I am sorry for the delay in answering your post, the forum team work in an oldest to newest basis with the post that we receive, and I am truly sorry I have taken a bit to answer you. 

I have called and spoke to the freestyle team, these guys are the ones who deal with split contracts like the one you have. I have put to them about cancelling the sim part of the contract as it’s a 30 day rolling and continue to pay the mobile part of the contract. They have advised me that they can’t do this, although the mobile is on a contract that basically like a loan, the tariff has to run alongside it because we are a mobile phone and network provider. 

That is as much of an explanation that I can give, and it’s not a lot of information but this is what I have been passed on to me. 

It may be worthwhile calling back in again and asking to speak to the actual freestyle team, the customer service guys would be able to pop you over to them. 

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
geoff1962
Up to speed
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

So its not really a 30 day rolling sim then .
False advertising perhaps .
0 Kudos