Menu
wez786
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cancel mobile within 14 day cooling off period

Hi, I hope someone can help as I am frustrated with the service I have received.

How do I cancel my monthly contract within the 14 day period?  I took out a contract at a shop on a whim which is about an hours drive from where I live.  I was informed that I would be on the network and I could port my old number after 24 hours.I was connected to Virgin but when I telephoned 789 to give them the PAC code I was informed that I was not registered on their system.  New Year then took place and I was able to text from the new number and phone friends who never answered as they did not know who was ringing which was very frustrating.

I contacted 789 after New Year's Day and was informed that I could get a new phone and SIM but as I was unhappy with the way I had been treated - lots of passing around and being cut off several times, I asked to speak to a supervisor as they said they could not cancel my contract as the tab was not on the system as the contract was too new. Anyway, nobody phoned back so I did not take out the new contract. However, I have telephoned and still been told that they cannot cancel the contract as the tab is not on the system. How do I prove that I have cancelled the contract as I cannot email anyone? Also as I have not taken out the contract online,a I have been told that I need to return it the phone to a shop. I went to my local shop - 5 minutes away - and they have said that they are an inline shop and do not handle returns. So I have a ne contract with another provider ho was able to do what Virgin was unable to do and I have a Virgin phone that I cannot get back to them as I do not intend to drive one hour to the shop and another hour home. Surely there is a better we fo getting the phone back to Virgin? Help!!!!!! wez786 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancel mobile within 14 day cooling off period

Hi wez786,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

I am sorry to hear you have decided to return your device due to the service you have received.

If the phone was purchased in one of our stores it would need be returned or exchanged at the same store within 14 days of the purchase date.

Our team on 789 will not be able to arrange returns or exchanges for handsets purchased at a retail store.

I understand that this may not be the answer you were looking for but if you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
wez786
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Liam_T

Thank you for your response.  However I feel that you are being unreasonable by asking me to return the mobile to the store which is an hour's drive from me.

I therefore have two options I would like for you to look at:

1. I take it to my local store and they are given information for the device and accept the return
2. I travel to the store I purchased the phone from and you pay for the travelling expenses I incur

If neither of these are acceptable then I will have no recourse but to escalate the complaint I originally made and / or consult my local Citizen's Advice Bureau / Trading Standards Office to make myself fully aware of my rights in this matter.

Also, I did not receive a copy of the contract that I signed, how do I get a copy so that I can see what the clause(s) are for cancellation?

Regards

wez786

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi wez786,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The terms and conditions around the 14 day customer satisfaction guarantee can be found on the website here. 

I do appreciate asking you to travel back to the place of purchase is rather inconvenient so I will check with our retail stores to see if it is possible to arrange a visit to a nearer branch and get back to you.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wez786,

I have looked into this for you, and suggest locating your nearest store where you can find a contact number and their opening times.

Although the terms state returning to the shop, I have been told that our stores will honour returns/exchanges from other Virgin Media stores.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
wez786
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Liam_T

Thank you for the response. 

In my original post I did state that I had been to my local store, which is 5 minutes away, and I was informed by them that as I did not purchase the phone from them, they cannot accept the return as they are an 'inline' store.  Hence I have stated that Customer Services contact the store and explain that they need to accept the phone.

My local store's telephone number is 01952 290252 if you would like to contact them.

I really cannot believe that I am unable to return a phone to your company!

You are quite right, it does state 'the shop' which is very ambiguous as it does not state the shop from where the phone was purchased in the contract or my local shop. 

I am, and have been, doing all I can to return the phone and now I advise you that I will carry out one of the following actions and I leave it to you to decide which:

1. I return the phone to my local store on one more occasion
2. I will no longer take any action to return the phone and a courier can be sent to collect it
3. I take no further action
4. I return the phone to the store from which I purchased it however, I require recompense for travelling costs and my time paid at an hourly rate where a partial hour is rounded up to a whole hour.  Payment to be made before I return the phone.

I appreciate that you are trying to resolve this matter but I seem to have progressed no further than when I was telephoning customer services and being passed around and being cut off.

I look forward to your resolution to this matter.

Regards

Wez786

0 Kudos
wez786
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I received an email yesterday stating that my post had been replied to but there is nothing showing?

wez786

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi wez786,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would like to look into this further for you and have sent you a PM with further details.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

0 Kudos
robdevil
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

14 days for store purchase? **bleep**? It is only for online or phone.Be smart next time and buy online!!!

0 Kudos