Menu
TEOC
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I cap an account?

I am paying for a second account in my name for a family member. Despite being an adult with two school age children she has little self control in using it and can run up some quite significant bills. As a pensioner on a fixed income I cannot continue to let her get away with it any longer and the only practical course of action I can think of is to put a cap on how much she can make a bill go to. Although I've looked around I can't find such an option. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I cap an account?

If you cap an account you still can get billed for more than the cap. Get a look at this thread, especially Lees reply

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/autistic-sons-bill-mistake/m-p/3003141#M53078

Without going down the road of asking why you are paying for someone else's mobile usage etc...

Your best option would be to switch the account to PAYG. Then they magically CAN take account of a call in progress Smiley Frustrated and deduct the amount from available credit.

It would also put you in the position that you control spend on a less than month to month basis. With PAYG you could top up say 5 quid a week and ensure they can keep in contact but not pressure you to commit to spending a larger amount each month.

TEOC
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response and the link. Frankly that reply from Virgin was total crap. We can set a credit limit, but won't tell you when you're getting close to it or not let you run up a bill over that limit. Sheer lunacy. PAYG isn't really an option as she doesn't have a land line and the tariff she's on is unlimited everything except data. 2GB doesn't seem to go very far these days. She's got within 4% of that monthly limit in just 15 days last month! I blame Facebook, iTunes and Instagram!

0 Kudos
Les01889
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've tried getting my son's data use capped with no success. Virgin's response is it cane be done yet my brother has his kids on contracts that are capped to the contract amount. His accounts are a lot older than my recently taken account so maybe it's an older thing.The best I could get out of Virgin was the offer to text him when he reaches 75% of his allowance, so far this seems to be working but it's a pain that I have to keep checking his account & ensuring he's on wifi whenever possible. He's got 4gb & managed to use 2gb in the first 2 days last month... Needless to say he didn't have his iPhone for a few days & went back this his "old style" Nokia

I'm still waiting for that first big bill..... Can you change their account to a "no data" account? I'm not sure if this type of account is still available   

0 Kudos
TEOC
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Without going into the whys and wherefores, I would say that my niece is as bad as your son with the data. Fortunately the minutes and texts are unlimited, but she uses the phone a lot for Facebook and Twitter which can soak up a lot of data. Sending Instagrams really gets through data! However it seems that the beardy **bleep**, Branson, will limit an account, but not tell you if you're getting close to the limit or cut you off if you go over it.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I guess this will go down like a bit of lead falling from the sky :-)

Instead of keeping putting the blame on others, there are other things too think of.

Apart from the lack of self control your niece has, it also seems she also has very little respect for you on your financial side of things.  One could also question why you yourself would put up with this.

I pay for a sim-only for my granddaughter of 9 years old, it comprises of limited minutes, unlimited texts and 1gig of data, all managed by herself - and she stops making calls or turns her data off as needed.

That's the respect we have between us and she knows if she breaks that, I'll be on the phone to Virgin and cancelling the sim, with no loss of feelings/love between us.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.