Menu
steads
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Block data usage above plan

Simple question looking for simple answer. 

My son has a plan with virgin for 1Gb data per month for a set fee. Is it possible for the data provider (in this case Virgin) to prevent data access once this limit has been reached on a month by month basis. I realize that a data limit can be set on the handset but this is easily overridden by the user (my son). I simply want to block data above and beyond 1Gb.

Help please!

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Block data usage above plan

One simple answer to that = NO

Only by the handset and you getting tough on him :-)
ie: make him pay up (pocket money/own wages) any usage over the allowance, or just cancel the sim.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Les01889
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I had the same question months ago. It seems Virgin don't do this now although I have friends who've limited their data on their kids' phones a couple of years ago. Seems Virgin don't do this now ( maybe they were losing too much cash this way)

i check my son's data usage every few days  online & as soon as he gets to 90% I take the phone off him until the refresh date. He's aware of this & since the first month he's never been over the limit. He's 13 & has been surprisingly responsible since we agreed this plan. He keeps his data turned off at all times & uses wifi whenever possible & only turns data on when absolutely necessary. He gets quite close at the end of the month. 

0 Kudos
dmacsee
Just joined
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin can count the volume of data above the plan to charge, then they can certainly choose to block as well, but they don't, because they would loose most of their 'incremental. income.

Perhaps its time to start a campaign to have honesty in mobile service provision rather than the seemingly accepting mugging of parents trying to give children a mobile account

0 Kudos