Menu
Bertie150
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Bit of a con

Hi, has anyone else noticed this and felt a little cheated?

I wondered why my bill was so high recently and found out to my horror that each emogi that I added into a message was classed as a picture and cost me £0.40 each.  I was very careful after this.  

The latest con I have found is that despite having unlimited texts, sending the same text to a group of people  becomes classed as multimedia and you're charged £0.40 per recipient (barring the original).

I feel like I have been abused.  I cannot recall ever seeing a pricing policy with this in.

An e-mail address would be great to send in a complaint.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bit of a con

Its your phone manufacture you need to complain to, If your phone is sending MMS messages you will get charged for a MMS as per your contract

Bertie150
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No, it's how Virgin treat the group of messages; nothing to do with Nokia.

The lady I spoke to at Virgin explained that creating a group and sending the group a message was classed by them as multimedia and so chargeable at their going rate.  I sent a message about a work colleague to four people at work and got charged £1.20.  Similarly a message to eight mates to meet up for a drink cost me £2.80.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bertie150,

Virgin Mobile no longer have an email address I'm afraid.

However what you are experiencing isn't Virgin trying to con you.

In many cases it is due to the way your device handles things as jb66 said.

Here is a useful guide to avoid these charges: How to stop text messages being sent as MMS (actually an O2 support page).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Bertie150
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

Reading the O2 help guide, everything I did seemed okay.  message was to eight people only and to their mobile numbers not to e-mail addresses.  I still feel abused.  The lady at virgin suggested sending the same message one at a time, which would take a lot longer and is very faffy.  It seems crazy that with unlimited texts you get charged (and so much) using a time saving technique. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I send group message all the time and Ive never been charged an MMS message, I'd have a look at your settings again
0 Kudos