Menu
JOHNLAG
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Billing - browsing on wi-fi

I have assumed that internet browsing on my smart phone via wi-fi, particularly my home wi-fi, was free. I seem to be charged - using up my monthly allowance, and £2 a day if I exceed it. Is this correct please? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Billing - browsing on wi-fi

Hi JOHNLAG,

browsing the internet via your home WiFi is indeed free.

If your phone is using your mobile data whilst doing this then something is wrong somewhere.

Are you sure that your phone has a good (strong) WiFi connection at all times whilst in your home?

Are you sure that the mobile data usage is occurring whilst you are using your device?
(I.E not when your phone is in standby and the phone's WiFi may "sleep" - check WiFi settings on your phone).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to Alex's answer - you use wifi data when browsing with wifi enabled, but once your phone has been asleep for a while, any data it needs will come from your data allowance because some phones turn wifi off when in standby (to save battery).

Your phone still uses data when asleep - usueally for email notifications but also to check for, and sometimes download, updates.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi JOHNLAG,

browsing the internet via your home WiFi is indeed free.

If your phone is using your mobile data whilst doing this then something is wrong somewhere.

Are you sure that your phone has a good (strong) WiFi connection at all times whilst in your home?

Are you sure that the mobile data usage is occurring whilst you are using your device?
(I.E not when your phone is in standby and the phone's WiFi may "sleep" - check WiFi settings on your phone).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to Alex's answer - you use wifi data when browsing with wifi enabled, but once your phone has been asleep for a while, any data it needs will come from your data allowance because some phones turn wifi off when in standby (to save battery).

Your phone still uses data when asleep - usueally for email notifications but also to check for, and sometimes download, updates.

0 Kudos