Menu
SmellyCat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Account Deleted???!!!!

So, I have an old Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone, which I keep as a back-up in case my contract phone fails. I hadn't used it in a while (it's my back-up, why would I?) until the other day, when I thought I should check that the phone itself still worked. The phone worked perfectly, what didn't, was it connecting to the Virgin Mobile network. So, I called up Customer Services to find out why that might be and not only could they not tell me; they couldn't find my details in the mobile phone customer database at all! Not only that, but they claimed that the phone number that I had, wasn't a Virgin Mobile number, despite the fact that I have an email (in 2008) from them listing the number!!

So, it seems that my account has been completely erased. Now I'm seriously annoyed, as the phone had almost £50 against it and at no point did they contact me to let me know that they were about to delete my account nor refund me the money that was against the account.

What's more, when I attempted to put in a complaint, not only did I have to go through the whole rigmarole of them trying to find my now non-existent account, they refused to log the complaint as they had no account to log it against (how convenient!). The customer service rep tried to put me through to her manager, whereupon I was put on hold for over an hour and then they disconnected me (that happened in the original call too...).

What on earth is going on??!!!!  Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Deleted???!!!!

So these parts of the PAYG T&Cs is probably relevant here:

For Big Data & Texts, Big Talk tariffs:

3.7 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 180 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and disconnect you from the Network. We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

For all other PAYG tariffs:

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
SmellyCat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Surely I should be contacted with regard to this if they were going to delete me and even if they were, should they not have a record that they did? Customer Services have nothing about my mobile account, it's as if I never had it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Text messages are sent to remind customers that they need to make a chargeable call or text to avoid being disconnected.

But if your phone was off then the delivery of the text messages couldn't be completed and any pending text messages would have been deleted along with the number from the network.
0 Kudos
SmellyCat
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

But that's insane! If I haven't used my phone, of course it's switched off! How on earth would I receive a text??!! In what way is that a reasonable method of customer contact?

And it's not like they didn't have a number other methods of contacting me. They have my email address, my actual address and, as I'm a Virgin Media customer, they have my landline number as well. Surely they should have used any of those methods to contact me.

They have effectively stolen £50 from me. I paid for a service that I never received.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There is no requirement to register PAYG SIMs with those details, so the only guaranteed contact option for all PAYG SIMs is the mobile number itself, and so that's the option the automated process uses.
0 Kudos
SmellyCat
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So what recourse do I have? How do I get my money back?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You would need to register a complaint in regards to the balance. Even if your number has been disconnected, there should be an accounts record to log a complaint against, as this is created whenever a PAYG SIM is activated (even if no further registration is completed).

I can't speak of the outcome of the complaints process, but going strictly from the terms wording then once the number is disconnected, any lost top up balance is non-refundable.

0 Kudos
SmellyCat
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'd like to complain, but they won't actually let me register the complaint. As I mentioned earlier, they won't/can't record a complaint against an account they can't/won't find.

Which also brings me back to the other issue: twice now Customer Services made me wait on-hold and then just disconnected the call. The second time, they had me on-hold for over an hour!

Now I make it a point not to lose my temper or be rude with the people of the call centres (and I didn't here) as they're just doing a job and they're not responsible for what might've happened to my account, but there is just no excuse for cutting me off.

So, if I can't get them to register my complaint - what can I do?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can appreciate that isn't a great experience. But even without an account that can be found you should able to registering a complaint.

As an alternative there is online chat available for mobile at www.virginmedia.com/contact so you could try that. Unfortunately it does get busy so it can be difficult to get a chat slot.

The other option would be to wait for the forum team to pick up on this thread - they may be able to at least get your complaint logged so it can be reviewed.
0 Kudos