Menu
swarfy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

4g sim in 3g handset ?

I want to change my tariff and go for 4G on my sim only tariff I realize I get a new sim card sent to me  but my moto g is only 3g will it still work ok in that handset ,I will get a new handset in the future just not yet   cheers in advance

mick 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 4g sim in 3g handset ?

Yes, 4G SIMs will work in a 3G handset - you won't get 4G speeds, but you will get the tariff allowances.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, 4G SIMs will work in a 3G handset - you won't get 4G speeds, but you will get the tariff allowances.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
swarfy
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much, double my data for 25% less per
0 Kudos
adb2
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have received a new 4g sim on a new virgin mobile contract. I can make calls but no mobile data connection. I did check the APN settings. My phone "LG Google nexus 4" is 3g only. I believed it should still work with 4g sim, but apparently it does not (in contradiction to previous posts)!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI adb2,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you've got no mobile data on your Nexus 4.

The correct APN settings can be found here so please make sure these match. You may 3 dots in the top right that would allow you to reset to default.

You may have a 4G/LTE network mode selected. You can follow these steps to check that and select a different one:-

All Apps > Settings > More > Mobile networks > Preferred network type > 3G

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
adb2
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Actually now I am not able to make calls either. It tells me that I don't have credit. (I am on a new contract of 1500 minutes a month!) I was able to send one text only today. All the following text remain unsent in my phone. I called the support on 789 and was told I need to wait 24 hours after my old number was ported (this morning). I think it is a nonsense. Anyway I will wait for tomorrow morning to see if the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
adb2
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First of all I want to confirm that the data connection does work on a 3g only phone using 4g Virgin sim.

The issue was just resolved after yet another call to 789, they only had "to refresh my allowance" - took 5 seconds to find out and do it for the person I was talking to. Now everything works fine - calls, texts, data. I think this time I was lucky to talk to someone who actually looked into the problem. The first person I was talking to yesterday claimed I need 4g phone in order to use 4g sim card, and then offered me to buy one from them. The second person claimed all the problems caused by porting my old number and it takes 24 hours for the number to be ported completely. This is ridiculous, how incompetent are some people working in Virgin call centers!

0 Kudos