cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6416

Degs
Tuning in

I had a call yesterday from 08001836416, but missed the call, I checked on line and it was suggested that it was a hoax Virgin media call. I got a call again today, it was from what sounded like an Indian man and he said he was from Virgin Media, and was offering me a V6 box for free. He asked me to confirm my post code and first line of my address, I gave him the post code and the number, he then asked for the Road, I said you must already know that, he said he needed it to confirm who I was, so I said that I didn’t know if he was from Virgin. He decided then to cancel the call and rang off. 

2 hours later he rang again, but I again missed the call by a fraction, and received a voice message from the same number this also was from an Indian  sounding man who sang the line. “she’s got a ticket to ride”. and then rang off.

It would be good if someone from Virgin could verify that this is not one of their numbers 

68 REPLIES 68

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Cam619,

That's been done for you too.

Take care.

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

Just had a call from this number - Indian Lady telling me she is going to optimise my broadband - great i said - how are you going to do that ? after 5 mins of waffle she said increase the speed to 100Mbps for an extra £7.99 a month...............  Hahahahahahah !!!!   I said - dont call me again !! What a cheek !

NigeC
On our wavelength

Same call, I'm sorry but I get fake calls, marketing, ppi, accidents I've never had etc most days so I am not going to give my account details to someone cold calling whether its legit or not

going by the previous message this offer is downgrading my broadband and costing me for the privilege!

This just seems to be the worst customer service you can get, all of the honest, cautious people, those that know about internet and phone scams are denied any upgrade because of Virgins poor methods, there is no thought of finding other ways to communicate these offers, it is easier to take people off the marketing call list to avoid them complaining

Fazzer
On our wavelength

Had this phone call today offering me a new V6 box, free with no change to my package. After hearing some details she goes on to say would you like me to process this upgrade for you, just £20 activation fee for your new box.. end of that one, why would I pay to activate something that Virgin are trying to push, she then went on to try and upsell something on my mobile contracts.... she's from virgin and doesn't know I literally Just upgraded my phone contracts... 

How virgin expect this crap sales team to work is beyond me and this call is just another reason I normally just hang up on these sales calls.

Very disappointing that they keep calling to offer this 'service', if you wanna upgrade me to the V6 box without any cost what so ever to myself then go ahead, until then I'm happy with my current, barely used TiVo.

wildride
Dialled in
Like the OP I also am skeptical when someone calls me, then asks me to confirm my password etc.

Often get calls from "Microsoft" and other phishing attempts so no I wont confirm those details with someone who calls me, it should be the other way around with virgin reps confirming they are who they say they are when they call us.

Robertjones1
Joining in
So if the number is real which I think is very unlikely

Why did 30 mins ago your customer services you get when you dail 150 from virgin landlines record a case of attempted fraud on my account and apologie for any trouble it might cause me?

Something sound fishy how are the moderators picked on this forum ?

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Wheresmymac, NigeC, Degs, Fazzer, wildride and Robertjones1.

Thanks for taking the time to add to this thread.

When we call we should be asking for specific characters of your password and not the whole word so keep that in mind.

I've been in the situation in this past with other companies calling me so I understand it's annoying at times. If you ask to be removed from marketing they should be doing this, although it can take up to 6 weeks to stop from when the next marketing campaign cycle.

As a side note, if these calls are happening on your mobile phones then most of them come with the ability to block calls. I know this isn't the point but it may help you in future.

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

Hi Rich,
Thanks for your assistance with this thread.
The point we are all making is the poor customer service from this number, who ever heads this team needs to train or retrain them to recognise that we are the customer
The issues then are:
1. Why use a number that is not on any reference to Virgin, this just makes people suspicious, why not use a recognised number?
2. Try reassuring the customers that they are who they say they are, certainly not sending stupid voice messages.
3. If they know we are already customers, why not be honest and tell us they want to sell us up grades and not waffle about how we can get this or that free and then tell us there is an installation charge.
4. If offers are really for loyal customers, then an Email with the offer in writing would be the best way, instead of this underhand approach.

Just to remove people or for people to need to be removed from the marketing calls with out taking notice of the cause is just showing how little Virgin thinks about its customers.

"Hi all,

Thanks for your posts and a big welcome to those of you who are new around here Smiley Happy

I can confirm the number is one of our Outbound Sales Team and the offer is a genuine one.

Depending on your contact preferences, we will from time to time call our customers if we think there is deal that they will benefit from.

Although I understand where some of you are coming from, we also need to ensure we are complying with data protection and protecting your details too so this is why the outbound team will always confirm your address and also they'll ask for 3 characters of your memorable word.

If ever you are unsure and can't be 100% of the caller then the option is always there to have the notes saved on your account and for you to call us back on 150 / 0345 454 1111. The team can then request a callback from the Outbound team again.

I hope I've been able to alleviate some of your concerns Smiley Happy
Kath_F
Forum Team"

This is a completely unacceptable practice... Staff members who do have a genuine reason for cold calling customers must fully identify themselves, and give out their name/dept to the people they call... and ADVISE those customers to call VM back. Under no circumstances hould they then be giving customers a number to call... this is EXCATLY how scammers operate and you are just confirming that VM is operating in the exact same manner a scammer would.

Any company that cold calls customers demanding personal and private information are unacceptable at any time, they are an invasion of privacy and you'd better be damn sure that they have consented to being contacted in such a manner.

VM should NEVER operate in this manner, it's disgraceful that you do.