cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6416

Degs
Tuning in

I had a call yesterday from 08001836416, but missed the call, I checked on line and it was suggested that it was a hoax Virgin media call. I got a call again today, it was from what sounded like an Indian man and he said he was from Virgin Media, and was offering me a V6 box for free. He asked me to confirm my post code and first line of my address, I gave him the post code and the number, he then asked for the Road, I said you must already know that, he said he needed it to confirm who I was, so I said that I didn’t know if he was from Virgin. He decided then to cancel the call and rang off. 

2 hours later he rang again, but I again missed the call by a fraction, and received a voice message from the same number this also was from an Indian  sounding man who sang the line. “she’s got a ticket to ride”. and then rang off.

It would be good if someone from Virgin could verify that this is not one of their numbers 

68 REPLIES 68

StraithJMN
Tuning in

Just to add my experience with this number to this thread. 

I had 20 missed calls from this number in under a month, I answered yesterday on the 21st call, after reading that this number is genuine.

I was told that I could get a new VM box, at no extension to my contract and at no additional cost, but I politely declined when asked for my address as I didn't recognise the number and I don't give out my personal details to a number that has called me.

I then asked "If I ring Virgin Media myself, then will this offer still be available to me?" to which the response was "If I ring VM direct, then they cannot offer me a discount for this" .... I questioned what discount there was, on what was being described as a zero cost item.  But did not get an answer.

After ending the call, I rang VM direct, who confirmed that this was a call from their Sales Team and that I could get a new box at a one-off cost of £20. And that there was no way of waiving this £20 fee.  I'd definitely describe this as a nuisance call, unprofessional, and if it costs £20 for a box, it was also purposefully misleading when I was told that there were no additional costs.

Disappointing from Virgin Media.

UPDATE: I have received 8 missed calls yesterday after saying not to phone me and email instead

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Both,

StraithJMN - The outbound sales team will have different offers/discounts available to them depending on what the focus is for the month.

Cam619 - The outbound sales team don't have the facility to email offers out that I'm aware of hence why they call.

Have you asked to be removed from marketing calls in future?

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

"The outbound sales team will have different offers/discounts available to them depending on what the focus is for the month."

Am I alone in disliking this wheeler-dealer business model that seems to be pervading all utility providers these days?  There is something distasteful about having to fend off telesales callers whose sales technique is little more sophisticated than the ragged-trousered boy tugging one's sleeve in a crowded souk.  How are we supposed to know whether this urchin is a genuine tout or a pick-pocket?  Moreover, if we should take it upon ourselves to venture up to a genuine VM salespoint - be it 150, the website, a phone number in a leaflet, or a high street shop - we never know if the deal we are offered is the best available, or merely the one that pays the highest commission to the salesperson to whom we are talking at that moment in time.  In the end, the customer's only recourse is to lie and haggle their way to a fair price via the Retentions team.  What kind of world are we living in, where dishonesty reaps better rewards than loyalty?

Thanks for the prompt reply Rich, my main focus was just to let others know that this number is VM and what they should expect from the call.

It seems the main issues are the inappropriate volume of calls, the lack of clarity/answers within the call on what they are offering & that the feedback would be that one concise & clear offer via email, appears to be what most customers would prefer.

Yes I have actually several times as I don't like how it is conducted.

They phone up and say they from virgin then ask straight away for my address, I won't give it so they got argumentative about it I told them not to ring me again and hung up

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi StraithJMN + Cam619,

Would you like me to remove you from these?

Rich
Forum Team

Thank you Rich, I'd prefer not to be rang for any form of upselling.

If there is a *genuinely* free upgrade or improvement I don't mind being called.

If you are unable to note the above distinction on my account, then please remove me from calls in their entirety.

Thanks for your help.

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi StraithJMN,

I've removed this for you. Keep in mind this can take up to 6 weeks as the marketing campaigns are run in 6 week batches.

As a side note, any free upgrades (like the speed ones in the past) are usually relayed via email.

Rich
Forum Team

Yes please I would appreciate being taken off it thanks for the help