Menu
ismail133
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

virgin media broke my window and made me spend £440 on a window hinge

So about 3 weeks ago I had a virgin media technician come to my house to install my broadband and telephone line. However after he had completed the job and left I went to close the window he left open only to realise he had broken the hinge by opening the window too far with too much force, ignoring the button that extended the window. Adding on to this he didn't even complete his job as he had used our neighbours line, cut theirs and installed ours. Due to this I called up virgin media and was told another technician would come back the next day. After waiting around 12 hours since the morning, I called them again and complained again about my broken window and was told to pay for a repair and I would get refunded. I called back again to make sure this was definitely the case to which I was told it was. So after being desperate to have my window fixed since it was extremely cold and rain kept pouring in, I looked through google to find a company who would fix my hinge. As I had no previous knowledge on any companies that do this sort of job I called up a few companies and was told they either didn't do it or wouldn't be able to come to my area. So I found 2 people who were willing to do the job and so after waiting I decided on the first one who would come the quickest to repair my window hinge. The next day 3 men from this company come and fix my hinge however they charged me £440 which for 2 hinges on a window seemed extremely expensive but I thought since I had no knowledge on this that this was ok and that I would be getting a refund either way as long as I got a receipt. So I asked them for a receipt after they finished and was emailed an invoice and they left my house. I called back virgin media and was then told that I should have actually waited as someone would have come to check the damage and they would have had it fixed for me to which I told them that I was told differently by 2 others a day before. So the next day a technician comes to fix the problems with my broadband and takes my pictures of the damage and I gave him the emailed receipt I got. After waiting weeks and weeks I was told 2 days ago that the receipt I got was a fraudulent receipt and that the company on the receipt does not exist and so I was really confused. So I gave the contact numbers of the company to the investigations team and they called them up however the company denies that they ever did the job at my house and so because of this I am unable to receive my refund of £440. I called up the company myself and they kept denying me of the truth and kept saying that they never did fix my hinges. So now I have lost £440 from being over charged and am not able to receive my refund and it all just feels extremely horrible all because of 1 damaged window. So I am asking for anyone in the community for any advice on what I can do, as virgin media won't help at all even though they started this all. So what can I do?. Thanks to anyone who actually took time to read this.

0 Kudos
tonyb1800
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin media broke my window and made me spend £440 on a window hinge

How did you actually pay for the repair, was it cheque, credit or debit card or cash?

Do you not have house insurance as most insurance policy's will help with this sort of thing.
0 Kudos
ismail133
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I paid by bank transfer and even showed virgin the payment i had made. I contacted my bank and they couldn't do anything either. I have no house insurance either as i had never needed it and i doubt that any policy would help at this point. I have been trying to at least get some compensation for the last few weeks as virgin media has put me in such a rough situation however i have received nothing yet.

0 Kudos
tonyb1800
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Frustrating I know how it goes when something goes like this.

If the bank transfer is shown that it was paid to the company that did the repair then you might be able to make a claim to the small claims court for the money from Virgin.

One word of caution though is that with bank transfers you would need to make sure it is the companies account you paid it to and not just some person who has nothing to do with the company. I had a similar thing happened when I thought I was paying a company and it turned out I was just paying some guy. As the payee reference means nothing really it just the account number and sort code that really matter to banks.

Most small claims are pretty easy to do online and to be honest most big companies do not even bother in defending them and you are awarded the judgement.

I would first write a strongly worded letter to Virgin laying out the complaint with all the evidence you have and send it recorded delivery and request a reply with 7 working days before going down the small claim course.
ismail133
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thank you for the advice. i think i will try and write a letter to virgin and lay out everything and try to get this all resolved, but if that does not work then i will have to go the small claims court route.

0 Kudos