Menu
caffery
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

very bad install of cable

This is the install we got a few weeks back now we have cut the hedges we have also cut the cable look at the state off this install 

the woman on the phone said there was no one to send pictures to to complain is that right ?

IMG_0326.JPGIMG_0328.JPG

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: very bad install of cable

The install looks fine, the cable was hidden, did you not check where the cable was before hacking away at your hedge? i mean you can see where its laid as it connects to your wall via the brown box in image 2. the cable won't have been installed with that damage which would be damage you did to the cable, generally speaking VM charge for callouts to repair things like this, you can try speaking to them and see if they will send out an engineer to replace the cable without a charge

0 Kudos
caffery
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

are you joking who do you know that dose not cut there hedges back a few times a year to run it loosely along the bush is ok ?

hope your not a cable fitter 

0 Kudos
caffery
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

and to note this cable is not even ground level its about 3 feet up the hedge the cable if to be run that way should have been run down on the floor and along the trunk of the bush not just along the overgrown part of the foliage which is going to get cut at some point 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Normally the cable is run through a protective green ducting to avoid such incidents. Previously these would have been buried in the ground but that doesn't seem to be the policy these days based on observation of installations in my area.

The Forum Team will get to this thread in around a week and will be able to advise you officially.
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

caffery wrote:

are you joking who do you know that dose not cut there hedges back a few times a year to run it loosely along the bush is ok ?

I'm not telling you not to cut your bushes, i'm asking why you didn't LOOK at your bushes and the cable that you KNEW was running along there before taking a trimmer to it, there could have been anything in that bush, what would you have done if there had been part of a glass bottle in there while you were trimming it without inspecting it, and as i said you would have known that the cable was there and that you should have checked if it was in the way, as mentioned VM don't really bury cables as they normally assume people will remain aware of the cables they had installed on their own property, and even if it had been wrapped in the green trunking they sometimes use, you still would have hit it, yes it might not have been perfectly installed but you can't blame VM because you didn't look at the bush before attacking it

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

caffery wrote:

I'm not telling you not to cut your bushes, i'm asking why you didn't LOOK at your bushes and the cable that you KNEW was running along there before taking a trimmer to it, there could have been anything in that bush, what would you have done if there had been part of a glass bottle in there while you were trimming it without inspecting it, and as i said you would have known that the cable was there and that you should have checked if it was in the way, as mentioned VM don't really bury cables as they normally assume people will remain aware of the cables they had installed on their own property, and even if it had been wrapped in the green trunking they sometimes use, you still would have hit it, yes it might not have been perfectly installed but you can't blame VM because you didn't look at the bush before attacking it

I have seen, and to my shame posted myself some less than helpful comments here over the years, but to paraphrase Stu Francis "This one is like breaking wind in a lift, wrong on so many levels".

First: Virgin Media have a duty of care to their customers, to ensure their installations meet all locally required building and safety regulations. I'm fairly sure that running cables through a hedge, or leaving free trailing cables liable to being severed or as trip hazards would not comply. I have yet to see a BT telephone line for example fed through a hedge, or left trailing across a garden, pavement or driveway.

Second: Why should anybody have to examine their hedges before trimming them? Just in case some moron had run a cable through them? Something which should never happen in the first place. I could accept an occasional birds nest, bee hive or leaf and branch, but a cable? 

Third: How would you know that a cable had been run through your hedge, armoured or not, unless you had been told? 

Fourth: VM really should bury cables, in ducting and at a depth where digging will not affect them. 

Fifth: While the current occupier may know the location of poorly installed cable runs, what happens when the property is sold? I would surmise that a cable running through a hedge is not anywhere in the Title Deeds.

Sixth: Why be so aggressive? This is meant to be a Help and Support forum after all. You have shown neither.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi caffery, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've accidentally cut through the cable. 

I can see since posting here, an engineer has been out to reconnect you. Have they since covered the cable in protective casing? 

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

And did they bother to bury the (now protected?) cable at a suitable depth, or is it still woven through your hedge just waiting for another trim?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
caffery
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just patched it up still in the bush with no protection
0 Kudos