Menu
johnr51
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

traffic management

hi

is there anywhere that i can monitor my internet useage through my router either on the virgin media web site or on the superhub 2 router, or will i have to use a third party software?

ive got a feeling im being speed throttled as im getting nowhere near the 200mbs i should be getting.

but i need to see how much im using first.

thanks in advance

john

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: traffic management

Unfortunately the hubs don't support such advanced features, they are all basic get-you-going devices.

The downstream isn't traffic managed, it's only the upstream which is. So if you're seeing slow downstream (download) speeds during peak time then it is likely down to your fellow VM subscribers in your locality causing it (contention issue.)

If you still want to know if you've breached your upstream limits, then customer services can answer that.. Ring 150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 from any phone -> Option 1 -> Confirm your details -> Option 2 (Faults) -> Report a broadband fault. Let any automated tests run and once through to an agent, ask them if you've recently breached upstream traffic management. But more importantly ask them if you're affected by a high contention / utilization issue. If they say "upgrade works are planned for X month away." Then you are affected by contention issue, ask them for the fault ref. number and have them apply a rolling credit to your account. They can also tell you how much broadband you use down/up for the current month, last 4 months and last 12 months. Same for TV and phone services.

You can ask the same questions via the Webchat from a laptop or desktop. Go with Broadband -> Service fault -> Chat online . Do so between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa. if all agents are busy, reload the page every three minutes and check again.

Alternatively wait about a week and a member of the favicon.png Forum Team here will be able to check if there is a open content ticket and get a rolling credit applied for you if one is indeed present.

And finally, if there isn't a contention ticket open for your network segment, post a topic in the speed board to ask the broadband buffs for support on resolving your speed issues, here's a link to the correct board to do just that, link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Unfortunately the hubs don't support such advanced features, they are all basic get-you-going devices.

The downstream isn't traffic managed, it's only the upstream which is. So if you're seeing slow downstream (download) speeds during peak time then it is likely down to your fellow VM subscribers in your locality causing it (contention issue.)

If you still want to know if you've breached your upstream limits, then customer services can answer that.. Ring 150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 from any phone -> Option 1 -> Confirm your details -> Option 2 (Faults) -> Report a broadband fault. Let any automated tests run and once through to an agent, ask them if you've recently breached upstream traffic management. But more importantly ask them if you're affected by a high contention / utilization issue. If they say "upgrade works are planned for X month away." Then you are affected by contention issue, ask them for the fault ref. number and have them apply a rolling credit to your account. They can also tell you how much broadband you use down/up for the current month, last 4 months and last 12 months. Same for TV and phone services.

You can ask the same questions via the Webchat from a laptop or desktop. Go with Broadband -> Service fault -> Chat online . Do so between 8AM to 8PM M-Sa. if all agents are busy, reload the page every three minutes and check again.

Alternatively wait about a week and a member of the favicon.png Forum Team here will be able to check if there is a open content ticket and get a rolling credit applied for you if one is indeed present.

And finally, if there isn't a contention ticket open for your network segment, post a topic in the speed board to ask the broadband buffs for support on resolving your speed issues, here's a link to the correct board to do just that, link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
johnr51
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the reply Shelke.
0 Kudos