Menu
lizzielou
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

re-contracting an 87yr old without her knowledge, then charging an early disconnection fee...Shocking!!!

My 87 yr old mother contacted VM to enquire about the remaining length of contract. She was told the contract ended in March 2017. During this conversation she was offered a sweetener to encourage her to stay with VM. She was given free channels for 3 months. The VM agent told her if she didn't want them at the end of 3 months to phone and get them removed, otherwise she would be charged if she kept them. He also assured her that removing them would NOT affect her contract. 

3 months later she phoned VM and had the channels removed. During this conversation (we have since found out,) the VM agent re-contracted my mothers account without her knowledge and therefore without her consent.

March 2017, knowing she could cancel her account with VM, which is costing her (a pensioner, £54.75 a month) and go to another supplier, who is significantly cheaper (£21.00 a month) she phoned VM back. 

During this conversation she was told that if she canceled her contract she would be charged a £240 early disconnection fee as the 'new' contract will not end til January 2018

This all started because an 87 yr old couldn't afford the high monthly price VM was charging and simply enquired as to when she could leave, that it was VM that insisted she take the free channels and that it was VM that re-contracted without consent.

My mother is fiercely independent a trait that keeps her fit and well however this experience has her so sick with worry and now so anxious she can not sleep.

I am shocked and disgusted at how Virgin Media treat their elderly customers and take advantage of their age and lack of IT knowledge. 

A company as big a VM should treat their elderly customers with and show them respect

I am sorely disappointed. 

0 Kudos
CoffeeQueen04
Just joined
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: re-contracting an 87yr old without her knowledge, then charging an early disconnection fee...Shocking

Appaling service from Virgen media, sounds like blatant targeting of the elderly just to get sales! Your mother must feel very shook up, such a horrible knock for her self confidence. Virgen Media should have some respect for the elderly, especially pensioners who have a tight budget as it is! All the tecnical jargon can be too much for younger generations nevermind people ages 70+! This story is a warning to all who use Virgen Media
0 Kudos
mrnkar
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: re-contracting an 87yr old without her knowledge, then charging an early disconnection fee...Shocking

Really distressing  for your mum but you could argue as surely your mum who of had to sign a new contract. This happened to me when i was on an 18 month contract ending February 2017. In April 2016 I rang to add just caller display. They sent me a contract by email which i had to sign but later discovered it was for a new 12 month contract. I will make sure in future I read things properly.

Hope you are able to sort it out.

0 Kudos
lizzielou
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My mother didn't sign anything. I have spoken to VM they flatly refuse to drop the fee saying she gave her consent, she's 87 for petes sake you'd think they'd have a heart not to con or bully an old lady.
They have sent a deadlock letter, meaning we cannot go any further VM. We now have to send our complaint to CISAS an independent adjudicator. My mother is so stressed I am worried for her health.
0 Kudos
mrnkar
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I would ask them to email or sent you copy of the new contract, just to see what they say. If they can't or don't send it it will make you case easier.

0 Kudos
lizzielou
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As they have sent a deadlock letter they will no longer discuss the situation. I cant speak to anyone now.

0 Kudos
lizzielou
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've contacted CISAS. https://www.cedr.com/cisas/
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You could request a copy/transcript of the call well your mum could under freedom of information act aka subject access request
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
lizzielou
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi paultechy,
I have asked and apparently the don't keep telephone recordings for that long. The call was on the 9th December '16 and the first call was in September '16. I can't believe a company the size of VM don not store their telephone conversations. I feel I'm being lied too every step I take.
Its disgusting.
It's in the hands of CISA now.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

guess under the DPA regulations principle 5 requires you to retain personal data no longer than is necessary for the purpose, so guess no longer needed.. since the storage to keep all the calls would add up to petabytes (10 power of 15) very quickly, since thousands of calls are done each day.

good luck with the CISA
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos