Menu
GerryMack
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"Brown Box" connection

Like many of my neighbours, I have a "Brown Box" attached to the outside of my house (Phone, TV  and Broadband) The cable runs from the footpath to this box and the there are cables from the box into the house. This seems to be normal everywhere I look. Except for me!

There is a cable also running from my box to the next door neighbour's box. There is no visible connection from the street to my neighbours!

Is this unusual? Am I supplying (and possibly) paying for my neighbours Virgin Media Service? Should I just cut the additional cable and see what happens?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Brown Box" connection

Standard installation runs a line from service drop to the "brown box" (Omnibox) on your property. Then cables to the various points. VM do on occasion, where a cable has not been installed to an omnibox, take a feed off a neighbours. This is not ideal, and should be a temporary situation, with a booking made to connect up your cable.

There is no chance of you paying for your neighbours usage, the reason its a bad idea is because it leads to boundary disputes and complications when properties are sold.

Wait for staff to pick it up, they should be able to advise you how VM will move this issue forward for you.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello GerryMack

I am sorry it does seem to be a temporary measure, there is some external work scheduled towards the end of March involving you and your neighbour, hopefully this will put it right. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
GerryMack
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No progress in this. As I am about to alter my wall in a few weeks, I'll just have to cut the cable: your move!

GerryMack
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well?

0 Kudos
GerryMack
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The end

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you GerryMack,

Have you since heard anything from the field team regarding this? If not, I can certainly look to escalate this for you.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos