Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: my cable is joined to my neighbours box!

The T&S agreed to technically allow this by saying....

You authorise is to keep and use apparatus at your home and agree that we may enter your home so that we can carry out work that is necessary for us to connect any apparatus necessary to supply the services others have asked for.

P. Visiting your home

1. You authorise us to install, keep and use apparatus (including but not limited to equipment and additional equipment) at your home and you agree that we and our employees, agents or contractors may enter your home so that we can:
    1. carry out any work that is necessary for us to connect, maintain, alter, replace or remove any apparatus necessary for us to supply the services you and others have asked for; and
    2. inspect any apparatus and equipment (like your TV or computer) which you may keep there.
  2. You agree not to do anything, or allow anything to be done, at your home that may cause damage to or interfere with any apparatus or prevent use or easy access to it.
  3. You confirm that you are:
    1. the current occupier of the home; and
    2. either the freeholder of the home or a tenant under a lease of 12 months or more.
  4. We cannot normally be required to remove permanent installations if you terminate this agreement or move from your home.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator

As above, both the OP & his neighbour have given permission for VM to install apparatus on their property.

We have the same situation in our town with BT lines. The planners did not want telegraph poles on certain roads, so BT put a ditribution box on the centre house in each terrace & trailed wires across the fronts of all their neighbours to get to the others.

In some flats installations VM have no option but to "piggy back" connections.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

spell
Well-informed
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:

The T&S agreed to technically allow this by saying....

You authorise is to keep and use apparatus at your home and agree that we may enter your home so that we can carry out work that is necessary for us to connect any apparatus necessary to supply the services others have asked for.

P. Visiting your home

1. You authorise us to install, keep and use apparatus (including but not limited to equipment and additional equipment) at your home and you agree that we and our employees, agents or contractors may enter your home so that we can:
    1. carry out any work that is necessary for us to connect, maintain, alter, replace or remove any apparatus necessary for us to supply the services you and others have asked for; and
    2. inspect any apparatus and equipment (like your TV or computer) which you may keep there.
  2. You agree not to do anything, or allow anything to be done, at your home that may cause damage to or interfere with any apparatus or prevent use or easy access to it.
  3. You confirm that you are:
    1. the current occupier of the home; and
    2. either the freeholder of the home or a tenant under a lease of 12 months or more.
  4. We cannot normally be required to remove permanent installations if you terminate this agreement or move from your home.

Having taking a step back and reading over the above several times it is apparent that this is irrelevant to the circumstances which the OP describes. I submit that the 'others' referred to relate to others in that property - not the next door neighbour.

There is a play on words here resultant from a selective interpretation of the T&C which in any event cannot override the legal position.

It would be interesting for the OP to obtain expert advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau (it can be done online and a copy of this thread would assist them). The response would be of interest should the OP choose to post it.

A response from VM would also be of interest although given the nature of the situation it may well be ambiguous or non committal.

Regards

Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

it doesn't say other people in the same property though it says other people. Its a legal contract that was signed by the person having the services installed so they have given permission for TV to maintain the network.

If the OP has a problem with the install they can always go and disconnect their cable and removed it until they get a new pull team in.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
it doesn't say other people in the same property though it says other people. Its a legal contract that was signed by the person having the services installed so they have given permission for TV to maintain the network.
It does not need to say other people in the same property because the meaning is very clear - it obviously doesn't mean other people in other houses and its nothing to do with maintaining the network - it's about a connection.

If the OP has a problem with the install they can always go and disconnect their cable and removed it until they get a new pull team in.
Why should he be messed about like that just because VM have potentially caused him to be in innocent conflict with his neighbour - the connection should have been done correctly in the first place as and when it could be.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Seems to me there is far too much 'short cutting' going on with VM installs these days.  There should be strict standards imposed.  The sub-contractors and VM installers are just being allowed to get away with it.  It's not acceptable.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq you right it shouldn't be happening. But it it didn't happen this thread would be about the delay in getting the repull done.

So VM can never win. They want service now by the way its been done. Or they dont and want no internet while the repull is completed.

You can't have it both ways
0 Kudos
pete0022
Joining in
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator

oh dear i do seem to have opened a can of worms here. under the terms and conditions i have no complaints, i do have internet and i am happy with the service speed i am getting compared to another certain provider which i wont name. however the issue resides with the installation situation the way it stands. if this is so acceptable to join your connection to your neighbours outside box, it begs the question why in the first place, each of us originally had our own individual connection coming from the pavement to our boxes on the wall. i would like to point out as well that permission was NOT granted by my neighbour as they were not in at the time of installation and i only went ahead for two reasons....

1. i would have had no internet

2. i was assured that the cable would be corrected in due course.

irrespective of the terms and conditions, i feel the situation has caused uneccessary stress and fairly i am eager fo the problem to be resolved, surely its not too much to ask.

i was born with nowt and i still have most of it
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Sorry pete0022, hopefully VM will be anxious to sort out your connection straight away in view of what has happened so far.

I can only suggest persevering with attempting to phone in to get a definite installation date plus a member of VM staff should be responding to assist (who knows when).

Good luck with it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@ForumTeam can this one be booked in to avoid arguments with the neighbours