Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 27 (372 Views)

my cable is joined to my neighbours box!

first post on here so please bear with me. i have a bit of an awkward problem which i am anxious to get resolved quickly. i had a 100mb broadband fibre optic setup installed at my home two weeks ago. the engineer that came told me that my cable connection coming from the pavement outside was faulty and that the internet was there but there was no 'rf' through the cable. his solution was to join the cable from my outside box to my neighbours box next door. now here is the problem i cannot get through to virgin to try to get this resolved and worse we dont get on very well with our neighbours! (i guess you see my problem). we desperatly want our cable connection fixed coming from the pavement to our box so that our neighbours dont see the joined cable to their box and godforbid.... cut it. i just dont know who to approach and i cant even seem to get through on the phone and there is no email that i can see, chat is also very busy. please help as we are getting desperate with the situation. many thanks in advance for any help and replies, peter.

i was born with nowt and i still have most of it
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 27 (360 Views)

Re: my cable is joined to my neighbours box!

There is nothing that will affect yours or their connection. It happens alot

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 27 (357 Views)

thanks, but owing to the situation with my neighbour, i feel my connection may be very short-lived.

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 4 of 27 (352 Views)

That reply had nothing at all to do with the question.
It is illegal to connect in this way without authority given in writing by the neighbour whose property is being used for your connection.
Superuser
Message 5 of 27 (352 Views)

This is often used as a temporary solution, as it can take several weeks to get a cable pull team in to re-pull the drop from the cabinet. The Forum Team staff here should be able to chase this up for you. They can take a few days to respond.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 6 of 27 (348 Views)

Never mind about several weeks - it should not have been done at all.
Joining in
Message 7 of 27 (345 Views)

i would be very grateful if this could be resolved as soon as possible. i am happy with the speed of the internet and service but me and my wife are very anxious that the situation as it stands needs to be sorted as you cant help but see the joined cable and so far we have got away with it with our neighbour.

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 27 (340 Views)

spell wrote:
Never mind about several weeks - it should not have been done at all.

In that case you wouldn't have any service at all until that several week job was completed, i mean do you want to use the stuff you pay for or not? Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 9 of 27 (337 Views)

Another pointless post - it's all about the job being done properly in the first place - and legally.
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 27 (320 Views)

spell wrote:
Another pointless post - it's all about the job being done properly in the first place - and legally.

"properly" is a relative term, there isn't any need to lay a cable per property when a single cable "can" service more than 1 account, there are 2 accounts at this property and we share a single cable to the cabinet, as far as we're concerned this is "properly" installed, legally isn't really an issue, technically speaking the boxes and network belong to VM not the customer, they are only tapping in to their own property, sure the neighbour could kick off a stink about it but they don't have a legal right to cut off another customer from the VM network as, again, they don't own it

0 Kudos