Menu
neilhewett76
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

moving to an area where Virgin Services are not available!

Hi all, more Virgin staff than anyone else, but feel free to comment Smiley Surprised)

I have just spent the last hour on the phone to moving address / billing (overseas i presume at this time of night), trying to understand why Virgin want to penalise me for moving to an area that they do not provide a service in. I am moving on 27th Feb Smiley Surprised) from SL1 5LF to NR11 8SJ. Virgin do not provide any service other than mobile phone in this area at all. 

Calling Virgin to advise them of the move they originally wanted to charge me £126 as an early termination fee. Gasping at this given i paid upfront 2 months when moving to my SL1 address i queried with the caller why they wanted to charge me this given they don't provide any service at my new home and surely Virgin would owe me money as i paid upfront two months worth of billing at around £120 per month.

Needless to say the virgin lady put me through to billing, after explaining this all over again the gentlemen advised that the amount due would now be £62. Still gasping that Virgin wanted to penalise me for moving home and that i paid nearly £240 when moving to SL1 surely Virgin would owe me money not the other way round. I was pointed in the direction of the Legal Stuff portion of the virgin website 

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...

and advised that this is how its calculated. Again i asked the question, but you are penalising me for moving to an area that you do not provide services in (NR11 8SJ) and i paid two months up front when moving to SL1. I had two month remaining on a contract i went in to in May 2016 (changed bundles) and following the conversation with the billing team member i asked to speak to his supervisor. He re-iterated the above, but again managed to reduce this figure to £17.70 following the credit i should receive on my account when the account is closed and the termination fee taken out of this. £109 (credit) - £126.70 (ET) = £17.70 due. 

I now feel a bit better that the 3rd figure given is much lower than the original but still feel penalised because Virgin do not provide any kind of service at my new home. If i could i would 100% take the Virgin services with me, iam not just saying that, as i have had no technical issues that have not been dealt with swiftly in the 8 years i have been a Virgin customer. I know i will get the opposite from BT and Sky when i have no choice but to use them when i re-connect the new property. Plus there is nothing in the above link that advises about termination of contract when they cannot provide the services in the area i am moving to. Surely this is different than if i was just changing service providers, I can understand that, but iam not. I moving to a quieter part of the country for a better life.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: moving to an area where Virgin Services are not available!

This has been asked many times and the answer is the same:

You were contracted at your current address for a set time and you have chose to break the contract by moving house. As a courtesy Virgin will allow you to transfer the contract to another house if it's in the Virgin footprint

You are liable for early termination
0 Kudos
neilhewett76
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Will wait and see about that. Getting a copy of the contract. If it's there fine. If it's not then....!
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Although you will check, the T&C in my contract did state that I am contracted for a set period, and breaking that would leave me liable for a penalty fine (early release fee)

I also moved into a non enabled area. I had 7 months left on my contract, but I was fortunate to escape without penalty by using the rate increase clause.

Regretfully in your case, I believe that you will have to accept that its not Virgins fault you are moving to an area that they do not serve, and pay the release fee which is stated in your contract.

I'd jump back to Virgin in a heartbeat if I could, but am stuck with slow Sky broadband (non fibre), constantly changing IP addresses but a "Q" box which is superb.

Good luck though in your quest 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you had Sky and moved to a listed building where you couldn't put a dish or if you had BT and moved to Hull you would have to pay a termination fee

0 Kudos