Menu
skoot
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

moving into a non cable area

I persuaded my mother to swop from sky to virgin broadband 4 months ago and when i called i informed them she will be moving into a new property in 4 months time for health reasons and was informed no problem we can transfer it to her new property.now came the time to transfer her to her new address they are saying it doesnt have cable connection(although numerous houses on the street do) that she will have to pay 145 pounds early dissconnection fee due to no connection?any advice before my  whole family dissconnects from virgin.(10 accounts in all.)?i find it disgraceful and embarressing for me as i suggested the move?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: moving into a non cable area

that [unfortunately] is how it works - you could dig deeper and see if there has been a mistake on the address if other houses around the property has VM - but if its a new build then it may be the cable has not been added even if it passes the and of the road

the cancellation facts are in the T & C's that non of us read and i dont think the loss or threat of the loss of other accounts will do much

a friendly call to retentions without threats is more likely to gain sympathy and a [possible] reduction in the cancellation charge

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

skoot wrote:

I persuaded my mother to swop from sky to virgin broadband 4 months ago and when i called i informed them she will be moving into a new property in 4 months time for health reasons and was informed no problem we can transfer it to her new property.now came the time to transfer her to her new address they are saying it doesnt have cable connection(although numerous houses on the street do) that she will have to pay 145 pounds early dissconnection fee due to no connection?any advice before my  whole family dissconnects from virgin.(10 accounts in all.)?i find it disgraceful and embarressing for me as i suggested the move?

Did you provide them an exact address with postcode when setting up for them to even check if VM provide service there, if not then you have no leg to stand on, they can move your account assuming that you are moving to a cable area, something you can check in advance, if you decide to move to an unsupported area then they aren't able to help you and typical T&C's apply, and even then, unless you got something in writing or recorded the call yourself you won't be able to prove what the sales rep agreed to etc

skoot
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply,no recordings and informed them its a newly built bungalow but others on the street have virgin,she said no problem.If i knew that earlier i wouldnt have suggested the move from sky to virgin until she moved in.very dissappointed with Virgin for that one.will have to cancel my virgin now in protest and switch to sky,so will the rest of my family.so they will lose out in the long run.but thank you for the reply.No threats,i never mentioned it when i telephoned them BUT WE WILL JUST CHANGE BACK TO SKY NOW.Thats how my family does it,if 1gets treated badly we all learn from it and change.When i called Virgin i was put onto someone from the Philipines who i couldnt understand at all which really annoyed me,trying to explain to someone who was not understanding me and i couldnt understand him was infuriation

Thank you for the replies.

king regards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if ducting runs past the new build they may connect the house - there will be no street tee but that can be added - its worth perusing but you will have to push and drive it - start with retentions - they are UK based - wrong dept but they should be able to get you to where you want to be - offshore is next to useless and i fully sympathise with you on trying to get them to understand 

Tony
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

skoot wrote:

Thanks for the reply,no recordings and informed them its a newly built bungalow but others on the street have virgin,she said no problem.If i knew that earlier i wouldnt have suggested the move from sky to virgin until she moved in.very dissappointed with Virgin for that one.will have to cancel my virgin now in protest and switch to sky,so will the rest of my family.so they will lose out in the long run.but thank you for the reply.No threats,i never mentioned it when i telephoned them BUT WE WILL JUST CHANGE BACK TO SKY NOW.Thats how my family does it,if 1gets treated badly we all learn from it and change.When i called Virgin i was put onto someone from the Philipines who i couldnt understand at all which really annoyed me,trying to explain to someone who was not understanding me and i couldnt understand him was infuriation

Thank you for the replies.

king regards

Sadly VM won't really miss 10 accounts so your stace, while admirable, doesn't actually make a single bit of difference in the grand scheme of things, also bear in mind that if you're within your minimum contract period that cancellation fees will still apply, we wish you the best of luck with BT

0 Kudos
skoot
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all your replies,after contacting virgin online chat she simple said we will send out an engineer to see if virgin can be fitted and will email you the results in 7 days.After an hr and half on the phone trying to sort the problem out yesterday,it was sorted in 5 mins online chat.so i suggest going through the online service and not speaking to someone in the philipines on the telephone.Hopefully they will be able to fit the cable in the new bungalows.i will inform you how it went in 7 days time.FINGERS CROSSED.

0 Kudos
skoot
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well after contacting the person in charge of the new build has said he has put the infrastructure for virgin media into the new built,all they have to do is feed the line down and put the plastic box on the outside.After informin the virgin media for my area,he said he cant fit it after a survey.After giving the telephone number to the virgin media guy to phone him and clear it up.he hasnt even bothered to ring him,so with serice like that i have already switched back to SKY,really terrible service from virgin,so im done with them now.Sky will be installed within the week.If he couldnt be bothered to make a single call i cant be bothered with Virgin anymore and after ringing him to find out what is going on,he never answered anymore and left it to answering machine.after leaving messages he didnt get back either.SO goodbye virgin and ill pay my termination fee of 145 pounds,daylight robbery.

0 Kudos