Menu
stevesll
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

disconnection email

Hi,

I've just received an email purporting to be from virginmedia, saying that my bill cannot be processed because my payment details have expired, so I am going to be disconnected tomorrow (30th).

I assume this is a hoax email - I've checked my account online and there is no mention of this, plus my payment details are in order.

Can someone just confirm this for me please?

The email wants me to connect to my.virginmedia.net (obviously I have not done so) - I take it this is a phony site?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: disconnection email

Almost certainly a hoax with a dodgy link.  The .net gives it away ... the real VM link is my.virginmedia.com

I've had a few of these in the past and just deleted them.

As an aside and nothing to do with VM as such, my wife had a couple of interesting fraudulent emails over Christmas.  The first purported to come from Tesco (we shop there regularly) telling us that there was a disputed debit card transaction and our account had been suspended.  The second purported to come from HSBC (who we bank with) also saying her debit card had been frozen due to irregular activity.  They looked awfully convincing and would easily fool anyone not too savvy but fortunately I could see that the return path was a Japanese domain.  These scammers are getting more sophisticated though.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you could report this via http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Almost certainly a hoax with a dodgy link.  The .net gives it away ... the real VM link is my.virginmedia.com

I've had a few of these in the past and just deleted them.

As an aside and nothing to do with VM as such, my wife had a couple of interesting fraudulent emails over Christmas.  The first purported to come from Tesco (we shop there regularly) telling us that there was a disputed debit card transaction and our account had been suspended.  The second purported to come from HSBC (who we bank with) also saying her debit card had been frozen due to irregular activity.  They looked awfully convincing and would easily fool anyone not too savvy but fortunately I could see that the return path was a Japanese domain.  These scammers are getting more sophisticated though.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you could report this via http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution