Menu
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

am i being ripped off?

hi, we have a combined phone and broadband package from virgin media. our broadband is upto 20mb and our total package costs £40.97 at the moment until  the imminent price increase comes. my issue is i notice on the website that the cheapest phone/broadband package is supposed to be upto 50mb and only costs £40 after the initial period where new customers get it cheaper for a while. so my question is why are we only getting upto 20mb? also why are we getting charged more than £40 for a combined phone and broadband when the cheapest on the website is only £40?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: am i being ripped off?

are you getting ripped off - no

have you missed a number of free upgrades that would improve the speed - yes - no idea why

you need to talk to retentions on 2 counts 

1 - upgrade your speed - that will require a new hub which you should be able to install and they will then increase the speed - all that should be FOC

2 - you need to discuss your package cost which goes back to your question about being ripped off - VM are not pro-active at lowering users prices - right or wrong thats up to the user

for both 1 & 2 - ring retentions

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I just don't get how they can increase what they charge someone who is on the cheapest package to a level over what they quote as the price for their cheapest package on their website.

0 Kudos
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

What does FOC stand for?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

FOC - free of charge 

as to increasing prices - its how it works with them - they ignore the silent majority - they are not on their own all suppliers do it to some degree

Tony
busheypark
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes you are being ripped off.  I recently paid £19.99 per month for broadband (70 mb) and phone-which I never used.  It was supposed to be £17.99 but my £2 loyalty bonus was never added and I got tired of wasting hours on the phone asking them to keep their promises.  I recently left as my £50 refer a friend which was promised on the phone several times was never given.  I now pay £20 per month for fibre bb (36mb) and phone and have had no problems.  I had no problem with my virgin service but if I am promised something several times and then have to spend hours on the phone being told there is no record of the promises (as you can't email!) then I will  take my money elsewhere.  Still waiting for a reply to my complaint-promised within 30 days but still waiting 70 days later..

donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am wary of changing supplier as I don't know any that don't have a dodgy reputation for service. Talk talk people tried to collar me recently, I just laughed at them. So it's better the devil you know.

0 Kudos
asim18
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm in exactly the same boat, and yes you and I are certainly getting ripped off. As a customer of 7 years I have to pay up to £18.50 extra compared to a customer who has just finished their first contract.

donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Indeed, in 2007 we took advantage of a 2 for £20 offer, phone and broadband. Now we pay over £40 and we aren't even getting the minimum internet speed. Can you believe it actually says we get a £8 discount on our bill as well. Looks like I will have to phone them.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

most companies give the best deals to new customers. eventually those new customers will be paying more than customers joining after them.

we did the same in our company.

0 Kudos