Menu
tomgliv
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Withdrawn offer by cold-caller!

I received a cold call from Virgin Media, the person started the conversation with the opening line that as I am a long standing and valued Virgin customer, he had just increased my internet speed from 100 to 200Mb at no additional cost.  He then went on to say that he was going to send me a set-top box which was also at no change to my current costs, as I am currently on a Broadband only contract. I explained that the reason I am a broadband only customer, is that I rarely watch live TV and use Netflix because I receive a lot of 4K content (which Virgin don't offer), so I probably wouldn't even use the box.  He then stated "OK, I'll leave your package as it is then!". But surely as he had opened the conversation with "I have just doubled your internet speed", then he had entered into a verbal contract, so withdrawing the offer following my refusal of an unwanted set-top box is breaking the law?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Withdrawn offer by cold-caller!

Just the usual Sell Tactics. They hope that you would keep the services after the "Free" period ends, and then sting you for loads of £. Smiley Wink

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You rejected the offer of double broadband and a set top box
Scorpioking
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would be very careful with this one Tomgliv if I was you as this is just like the Scam going round on O2 at the moment offering similar sort of deals (Extra Data,Minutes etc) then they ask for your Card details mate and if that happens your Bank Account is a few Hundred Pounds lighter. Scorpioking
Dave. Scorpioking
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It sounds real...

Bottom line...check the number they call off....second ask them the usual questions so they confirm who the hell you are 1st.

Sounds real to me tbh.

tomgliv
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I make sure that I only give part of my details (enough to match what they should have on their screen), and ask them to fill in the missing details to confirm and possibly ask them what the amount of the last bill I received from them.

The issue here, to be pedantic, is that the operative began a conversation with 'I have done this for you', without adding any disclaimer that it was based on me taking Virgin up on another offer (this too was at no additional cost, but I didn't want the item). Then to withdraw the offer, which as I have stated was a verbal agreement, is a dishonest practice. As it was a cold-call, I didn't ask for an increase in my bandwidth, and as I am a broadband only customer there may be a reason other than budgetary why I did not request a TV package.  

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just the usual Sell Tactics. They hope that you would keep the services after the "Free" period ends, and then sting you for loads of £. Smiley Wink

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.