Menu
why2016
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why should I pay the £240 cancellation fee?

I am moving home. Virgin Media cannot supply my new address. Please explain why there is a cancellation fee when as a willing customer I would love to take my Virgin Media package with me, but cannot?  And why is it £240?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why should I pay the £240 cancellation fee?

Simply because your contract details this eventuality. You have contracted for service supply at your current address and cannot meet your contractual requirement. Read your contract to confirm this - it's all in there.

It's £240 because Virgin Media have been generous to you and capped your penalty to that figure - it should actually have been more.

why2016
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media is not able to provide the service ... yet, I'm the one who is deemed not to meet my contractual requirement! My oh my, what a skewed world we live in!
shauneeb
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Worth a mention, if you have received a letter notifying of the recent price increase change to your services you have 30 days from the date of that letter to cancel free of charge, so if you are within the 30 day notice period date of said letter you can leave without paying any charges, regardless of what crap they might say on the phone when you ring to cancel.

If the 30 day period has passed, you will have to pay the charges.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

why2016 wrote:
Virgin Media is not able to provide the service ... yet, I'm the one who is deemed not to meet my contractual requirement! My oh my, what a skewed world we live in!

Virgin Media can and are providing the service your contract is for, which is at your current address.

By moving you are asking for a variation in the contract, and this means you then trigger the clauses which say that if you move to an address that services can't be provided at for whatever reason, you are deemed to be exiting your minimum term early.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
why2016
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I would have more sympathy for this situation if I was changing provider. However, is my address the contracting party or myself? I didn't realize that I a house could have legal identity - what a strange concept! ... may I should have my current address negotiate the T&Cs, no wait thats not possible, it's a house! In any event, the little man will not get anywhere disputing the T&Cs, and instead has to put up with this nonsense because the other contracting party (virgin media) is unable to provide the other contracting party (me, not my house) with the service requested, regardless of is alleged that clause is supposed to mean!!
0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well I suppose, depending on how long is left on the contract and monthly cost simply just continue to pay as normal every month until contract has expired and then terminate despite having moved but I'm guessing VM might not allow this.  Though I suspect if your liable for the full £240 early termination fee that it could be substantially more, but maybe an option in the short term for a month or 2 if VM will allow it whilst you sort your finances to pay the fee.  But I'd hope or like to think in such circumstances that VM would at least offer an option to pay this fee off over say a few months or so as most can't just pay £240 out of the family budget just like that.

Either way your legally liable for this as you signed the contract accepting such terms in the detail.  On the plus side, this is a maximum limit set by the government\regulators.  Years ago you'd probably have been liable for the entire outstanding cost of the remaining contract in full which could have been a lot more. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dave606 wrote:

Well I suppose, depending on how long is left on the contract and monthly cost simply just continue to pay as normal every month until contract has expired and then terminate despite having moved but I'm guessing VM might not allow this.

As accounts are tethered to the address, so this could cause issues if the person moving into that address also wants VM.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Morgane
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello, 

We have sort of the same problem, as we are moving abroad we interrupted our contract after two years and a half with Virgin and they tell us we have to pay a 180£ cancellation fee. 

During those two years and a half, (6 months ago) we changed apartment in the UK and transferred the Virgin box ourselves. According to Virgin we then started a new contract, whereas we thought we had just transferred the same contract to the new address.

So now we result as new customers even if we have been with them for 2 years and a half.

I wrote a letter to raise the issue - no answer.

Telephone -  there is no complaint service. 

No possibility to communicate with Virgin for this issue.

How is it possible that we cannot contact Virgin by telephone or e-mail to discuss this issue?? Does Virgin think that customers will come back to use their service after such a bad experience?

0 Kudos