Menu
ericwhitfield
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why is it so difficult to downgrade?

I am paying £52 for Vivid 150 and a telephone line used almost exclusively for incoming calls.  I have TV(M) in package which I don't use and have tried before to remove it but have been told it won't make my bill any less.  Now I want the same offer as a friend has been offered, Full House 100 for £30 but Ive been told I cannot have this because I already have TV.  At every call someone tries to sell me something extra. I try to downgrade and I am told I need to speak to someone else and when I eventually get to someone else they can only offer me something costing more.  I am now going to move to BT and get 54M broadband and line rental for £30.  Virgin offer the Player package on their advertising which is basically the same as BT for the same price yet all I get to talk to are people who say they can't downgrade me to this.  What is wrong with this company?  I have been with Virgin since the days of Comcast and the first cable broadband and now I have to go to BT to get what I want even though Virgin provide the same package.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is it so difficult to downgrade?

The BT deal is a New Customer deal. You cannot get the same price with VM as you are an existing Customer. VM will only offer you the deal minus the "joining Virgin" discount. It would be the same if you were with BT, as the deal is £44.99 for existing customers.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Full House includes TV,phone and broadband. And costs 76 quid a month.

If you comparing JUST broadband, VM offer Super Fibre 50 for 32 quid a month. You may be able to negotiate a loyalty discount on that as well, bringing you UNDER the BT price.

jacka-smith
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Because they don't want u too and there is a period of time on ur package whigh u may have to finish before downgrading
0 Kudos
ericwhitfield
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Full House includes TV,phone and broadband. And costs 76 quid a month.

If you comparing JUST broadband, VM offer Super Fibre 50 for 32 quid a month. You may be able to negotiate a loyalty discount on that as well, bringing you UNDER the BT price.

Full House 100 = Vivid 100 broadband + Top TV Plus? + Line rental for £30  for 24 months with a no price rise guarantee.  I have a copy of the letter.  He is an existing broadband customer.  So they get him as a new TV customer paying £30 per month for all 3 and lose me as an existing customer paying £52 per month.  I will be tied to BT for 12 months and then free to take up any other offer.

Where's the sense in that?  Would Virgin rather see me leave than downgrade?

0 Kudos
ericwhitfield
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

jacka-smith wrote:
Because they don't want u too and there is a period of time on ur package whigh u may have to finish before downgrading

I've had my package for man many years and all they say is they want 30 days notice.  The may not want me to downgrade and I don't want to leave but sadly I am.  Why pay VM £52 per month when I can have slightly slower broadband and line rental for £30 per month

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your never going to get an offer equivalent to a new customer deal from ANY supplier if you are renewing. Thats the way the industry works

I'm not saying it makes sense, just the way it is. Offers to bring you in the door, inertia makes you stay.

If you are happy to play the market every time your initial contract term is up, you'll get a better deal.

This is not news.

0 Kudos
ericwhitfield
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

15 years ago bank staff were given targets to sell things to customers, not to provide a service, just to sell more things (insurance PPI, pensions).  Then banks started taking over each other and a few of them grew very large, the bosses of UK banks even got knighthoods.  Sound familiar.  Then of course we had the financial crash with the government bailing out the greedy monoliths. Now we have Telecomms companies just interested in selling more to customers and eating up other companies until there's nothing left to eat.  I wonder where the future lies.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ericwhitfield wrote:

15 years ago bank staff were given targets to sell things to customers, not to provide a service, just to sell more things (insurance PPI, pensions).  Then banks started taking over each other and a few of them grew very large, the bosses of UK banks even got knighthoods.  Sound familiar.  Then of course we had the financial crash with the government bailing out the greedy monoliths. Now we have Telecomms companies just interested in selling more to customers and eating up other companies until there's nothing left to eat.  I wonder where the future lies.

Its the same when any service company decides front line service staff should do sales . Start of the rot. Been there, worn the Tshirt.

But that's a different issue to the introductory offers- that's not even specific to telecom's. Insurance companies, energy companies, banks etc etc all do it. Introductory offer to get you in the door, then just keep their fingers cross you stay.

0 Kudos