Menu
lolwut
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why does Virgin Media do this?

Few months ago I was happy on 50MB @ £28.50 per month.

I then got a "free upgrade" to 70MB.

Then I get a letter saying the prices will be going up to £31.24 per month, which was actually a little bit cheaper than the (then) 'new customer' prices.

However, I've just checked the prices today only to find out VM are selling the 50MB for £27.00 per month and the 100MB for £32.00 per month.

I've already phoned VM quite a few times in the past few years about reducing my monthly bill because of stunts like this and it's really %^&£#@* me off.

Now I have to ring them again to put me back on the 50MB package just so I can lower my bill...

I remember paying about £42.00 per month some years ago for 20MB even though 100MB like £4 cheaper.

Does Virgin Media just love ripping off existing customers or something and hope they won't notice?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does Virgin Media do this?

Vm cant move you to a new package without your express consent, because doing so starts a new minimum contract term. So basically, you need to phone in once a year (or at the end of your initial contract) and re-negotiate, or your price will become out of line with the advertised rates.

As an existing subscriber all the advertised rates (after initial discount) are available to you. 150 and "thinking of leaving us"

For what its worth, your gas electric, insurance, water, bank account, mobile phone contract  etc etc all do the same. If your not checking ALL these regularly, your likely paying too much. Theres a man keeps banging on about it, Martin Lewis. You may have heard of him....

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi lolwut, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been left unhappy due to the recent promotions offered to our new customers. 

Any offers open to New Customers are available to Existing customers without the introductory discount. 

Currently Broadband Only packages, removing the introductory discount, the 50mb package costs £32.25 a month and the 100mb package costs £37.25 a month. 

So at £31.24 a month for 70mb you're actually better off than a new customer on the 50mb. 

I know it's frustrating having to renegotiate a new deal every year but as mentioned by Kippies, we're not able to change your package. This includes moving you to a cheaper deal as well as moving you to a more expensive one. 

If you're unhappy, give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they can look in to things for you. 

Let me know how the call goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lolwut
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Currently Broadband Only packages, removing the introductory discount, the 50mb package costs £32.25 a month and the 100mb package costs £37.25 a month.

It took me a while to find that there was an introductory discount as it was tucked well into the website. Even then it's hardly a discount as new customers only save 66 pence per month on the first year (hardly a discount) when you take into consideration the 14.99 activation and 40.00 installation.

You guys really need to stop making your website so misleading...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

lolwut wrote:

It took me a while to find that there was an introductory discount as it was tucked well into the website. Even then it's hardly a discount as new customers only save 66 pence per month on the first year (hardly a discount) when you take into consideration the 14.99 activation and 40.00 installation.

You guys really need to stop making your website so misleading...

The current website is blooming difficult to get any actual comparison out of. You have to click through each offer to see what the price will be after initial discount. So I have to agree with you on that.  Not exactly transparent pricing-

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi both, 

Thanks for your posts and concerns regarding the pricing for new customers. Checking on the website myself today again it does show on the first page that the price is for 12 months. When you click on start my order, which is the 2nd page) it then tells you the price after the 12 months has finished. 

I have passed on board your feedback although currently things are looking clear Smiley Happy 

Thanks again for your posts and remember we're here if you need us. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos