Menu
raptor1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why am I paying twice as much - for twice as less?

So....I have just called Virgin and at the end of the telephone converstation cancelled my subscription with them- here is why .

A freind of mine has this package-He has been with Virgin approx 10 years.

Virgin TV.

Player TV (M)

Tivo Monthly.

Fibre Broadband 

Super Fiber 70

Virgin Phone

12 Month Line Rental Saver

Fully itmeised Billing.

Loyalty Customer

Talk Weeekends 

Telephone Line Rental.

Promotional Offer

Loyalty customer £5 per Month  for 18 months.

Your Monthly Service Charge During Offer £21

After Promotioanl offer £26

So here is what I am getting - having been with virgin for of 13 Years

Bundle Charges.

Mix TV

Super Fiber 50 Tivo Monthly

Offer Code.

Offer code ends on 19th of April  (£3)

Paper bill charge £1.75

Now before I tell you what I am paying bare in mind that in comparrison to my freinds deal - 

I have been with Virgin longer.

I have LESS broad band speed (only 50 compared to 70)

I have LESS  TV channels .

I HAVE NO PHONE LINE

as you might think - if what I have compared to my freinds bundle- i obviusly should be paying less

no so - I pay DOUBLE!!!!  £42!!!!!

So I just called virgin and asked - I want the same deal as my freinds as it seems to be a much better deal. Answer- He gets that because there was a promotional offer on the telephone bundle. I said- " well I am not botherd about that - tell you what- Ill do without phone- but would apprecaite at least a upgrade to Player TV and increase in my broad band speed.  They said they could not  do that. in the end they were prepared to do nothing. Incredible I know! So - I have just canclelled with Virgin explained that I felt I was getting treated poorly - especialy as a loyal customer , and if they are unwilling to be resonable then I would leave. ....so I have just recieved my 30 day notification...will i ever return to Virgin....after spending 13- 15 years with them..amd this is how you get treated....I very much doubt it. Would like to know if any other loyal customers  out there are getting treated poorly.. 

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why am I paying twice as much - for twice as less?

You have less Broadband speed as you are on a legacy package for which the price keeps going up. You should re-negotiate the deal every time your minimum contract period expires or your prices will keep going up.

You should not have less TV channels. Player (M) is the lowest TV pack you can get. Any channels less than this would indicate a fault with your services.

Player or TV (M) is free, providing you have a Virgin landline on your account. If not it is chargeable.

If you have a Landline, TV & Broadband on your account you trigger the "Triple-Play" maximum discount which your friend is enjoying (along with the loyalty discount he also asked for). Loyalty discounts are only available for a maximum 18 months, & no package changes are allowed in the period.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

8210GUY
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is 1 more factor that could sting you in the rear, I certainly fell foul of it, if you make a single change to your package, you are agreeing to another 1 year contract, they are happy to let you change things around (within their stipulated area's), because each time you do, you are signing another 1 year contract, so change your phone allowance, that's another new contract, change your TV, that's another 1 year contract, not just 1 year on the phone, or 1 year on the TV, it's 1 year on your entire package, even if you only change 1 item. Now I have no problem with that, IF, they make sure you know what changing any single part of your package would mean to you, in my instance I wanted to lower my package cost, as I needed to tighten my belt for a while until I was in a better position, at which point I would raise it up again, the person said this is the lowest we can put you on, so I said lets see how it goes, I was out of contract soon after then anyway, and figured if it didn't work out I would stop everything. So great you think, so after a few weeks I figured the saving was only £5 from what I was on was worthless, rang them back said it's not helping at all, and to put me back on what I was and I will end the contract when it is up, then the bombshell was dropped, I could not do that, I could change my package any way I liked, BUT, each time I did I would begin another 1 year contract, so I said OK cancel the lot (when it 'should' have been due), to be told I couldn't, as I had another 1 year before I was out of contract and able to do that, made worse due to the fact when the previous change was made a few weeks back, I was outside of my cooling off period (1st I heard of this even being in a new contract), they said they sent emails and post to me indicating the changes, yet I never received a single one, which makes acting within any contract terms impossible to do. I then sent in a complaint over this, and it took a while before it was high enough up the chain before people knew what they were doing (I'm sorry guy's [Virgin] far too many of your staff are very lacking), and they were fantastic, they looked through all what had gone on and saw what had gone on, and they went on to help me achieve my goal, although it meant yet another 1 year contract (it supersedes any previous contract every time), this time I was made fully aware of everything, and I was more than happy to agree to what they had kindly done to help rectify things. Virgin do have 'some' great staff, and when you get through to someone like this, it is fantastic, no messing around, they know what they are doing (I'm not talking about keeping you sweet at all, I mean just those who know their job, that's all), and everything goes nice and smooth, but get one of any number of those who obviously don't have a clue (especially when you know more than they appear to), and boy don't you pay the price, my router was replaced once (self service deal), plug in the new one, pack the old one up and send it back in the same packing, simple right ? The only thing that had to be done was someone flick a switch at the other end, and I just had to ring the number on the packing, and ask them to do this, so I rang, fast forward 45 minutes of doing every single fault check you can get, and they declare a fault and booked an engineer, he rolled up, took 1 look, said activation, I said yep, 2 minutes later it was sorted, he said he does several of these a week, add up the cost of just this one guy a week doing things that are easily done on the phone, and spread that out round the entire company, it's no wonder why prices can be so high, sorry for the mini rant, I just wanted to show both sides of the coin so to speak, anyway just wanted to mention the new contract, as that was the only bit missing above, hope it helps. *edit Flaming tabbing disappeared on posting.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have less Broadband speed as you are on a legacy package for which the price keeps going up. You should re-negotiate the deal every time your minimum contract period expires or your prices will keep going up.

You should not have less TV channels. Player (M) is the lowest TV pack you can get. Any channels less than this would indicate a fault with your services.

Player or TV (M) is free, providing you have a Virgin landline on your account. If not it is chargeable.

If you have a Landline, TV & Broadband on your account you trigger the "Triple-Play" maximum discount which your friend is enjoying (along with the loyalty discount he also asked for). Loyalty discounts are only available for a maximum 18 months, & no package changes are allowed in the period.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

raptor1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nogrogd....I will call them back now as things you have suggested have never been offerd to me- and when I rengotiated my deal last time - to get the price down- the person never told me that when I loose my phone line I would be not elegible for the other deals. ...Luckily I am not in a contract with them - in fairness Ithink the person who i just spoke to - was not the most helpful of persons and he seemed to have the attidtude- "I dont care waht you do" 

After what you have pointed out- I will call them back now and see if some other representative ( who dose not want to loose a loyal customer) can do...let you know either way...watch this space ....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Your Friends is actually paying about £40 per month going upto £45 when the loyalty discount expires.

This is because your friend has paid the Phone line rental upfront on one go for 12 months.

Now take off the £1.75 you are paying because you want a paper bill and you get to £40.25. Adding a Phone line will drop the price for your other services but also in turn add the line rental that would bring the price to around or slightly lower then the same level your paying now. 

I always advise to talk to retentions as they can offer some good deals (its there job to stop you leaving) and could get more for your £s via them then the standard sales team. But take the phone line even if you don't need it as it will get you better deals plus free calls at weekends as well as a free Customer Support and Faults numbers (150).

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
raptor1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tidus and Nogrod

Thank you both . I have just spoken to a nice lady over at Virgin ( who did seem to want to keep me as a loyal customer)  Explained the situation and ...I have just been given the same deal ;-) Tidus spot  on with having to pay up front the Telephone line rental ..which I have now done. Thanks to you both for the input and helpSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Tinker67
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes I got exactly the same treatment I'm a loyal customer too 13 years ! But my bill is also £43 I've got same package they just don't seem at all bothered or very helpful DISCUSTING!!!!!!! 😠😠😠😠😠
8210GUY
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is 1 more factor that could sting you in the rear, I certainly fell foul of it, if you make a single change to your package, you are agreeing to another 1 year contract, they are happy to let you change things around (within their stipulated area's), because each time you do, you are signing another 1 year contract, so change your phone allowance, that's another new contract, change your TV, that's another 1 year contract, not just 1 year on the phone, or 1 year on the TV, it's 1 year on your entire package, even if you only change 1 item. Now I have no problem with that, IF, they make sure you know what changing any single part of your package would mean to you, in my instance I wanted to lower my package cost, as I needed to tighten my belt for a while until I was in a better position, at which point I would raise it up again, the person said this is the lowest we can put you on, so I said lets see how it goes, I was out of contract soon after then anyway, and figured if it didn't work out I would stop everything. So great you think, so after a few weeks I figured the saving was only £5 from what I was on was worthless, rang them back said it's not helping at all, and to put me back on what I was and I will end the contract when it is up, then the bombshell was dropped, I could not do that, I could change my package any way I liked, BUT, each time I did I would begin another 1 year contract, so I said OK cancel the lot (when it 'should' have been due), to be told I couldn't, as I had another 1 year before I was out of contract and able to do that, made worse due to the fact when the previous change was made a few weeks back, I was outside of my cooling off period (1st I heard of this even being in a new contract), they said they sent emails and post to me indicating the changes, yet I never received a single one, which makes acting within any contract terms impossible to do. I then sent in a complaint over this, and it took a while before it was high enough up the chain before people knew what they were doing (I'm sorry guy's [Virgin] far too many of your staff are very lacking), and they were fantastic, they looked through all what had gone on and saw what had gone on, and they went on to help me achieve my goal, although it meant yet another 1 year contract (it supersedes any previous contract every time), this time I was made fully aware of everything, and I was more than happy to agree to what they had kindly done to help rectify things. Virgin do have 'some' great staff, and when you get through to someone like this, it is fantastic, no messing around, they know what they are doing (I'm not talking about keeping you sweet at all, I mean just those who know their job, that's all), and everything goes nice and smooth, but get one of any number of those who obviously don't have a clue (especially when you know more than they appear to), and boy don't you pay the price, my router was replaced once (self service deal), plug in the new one, pack the old one up and send it back in the same packing, simple right ? The only thing that had to be done was someone flick a switch at the other end, and I just had to ring the number on the packing, and ask them to do this, so I rang, fast forward 45 minutes of doing every single fault check you can get, and they declare a fault and booked an engineer, he rolled up, took 1 look, said activation, I said yep, 2 minutes later it was sorted, he said he does several of these a week, add up the cost of just this one guy a week doing things that are easily done on the phone, and spread that out round the entire company, it's no wonder why prices can be so high, sorry for the mini rant, I just wanted to show both sides of the coin so to speak, anyway just wanted to mention the new contract, as that was the only bit missing above, hope it helps. *edit Flaming tabbing disappeared on posting.
8210GUY
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

There is 1 more factor that could sting you in the rear, I certainly fell foul of it, if you make a single change to your package, you are agreeing to another 1 year contract, they are happy to let you change things around (within their stipulated area's), because each time you do, you are signing another 1 year contract, so change your phone allowance, that's another new contract, change your TV, that's another 1 year contract, not just 1 year on the phone, or 1 year on the TV, it's 1 year on your entire package, even if you only change 1 item.

Now I have no problem with that, IF, they make sure you know what changing any single part of your package would mean to you, in my instance I wanted to lower my package cost, as I needed to tighten my belt for a while until I was in a better position, at which point I would raise it up again, the person said this is the lowest we can put you on, so I said lets see how it goes, I was out of contract soon after then anyway, and figured if it didn't work out I would stop everything.

So great you think, so after a few weeks I figured the saving was only £5 from what I was on was worthless, rang them back said it's not helping at all, and to put me back on what I was and I will end the contract when it is up, then the bombshell was dropped, I could not do that, I could change my package any way I liked, BUT, each time I did I would begin another 1 year contract, so I said OK cancel the lot (when it 'should' have been due), to be told I couldn't, as I had another 1 year before I was out of contract and able to do that, made worse due to the fact when the previous change was made a few weeks back, I was outside of my cooling off period (1st I heard of this even being in a new contract), they said they sent emails and post to me indicating the changes, yet I never received a single one, which makes acting within any contract terms impossible to do.

I then sent in a complaint over this, and it took a while before it was high enough up the chain before people knew what they were doing (I'm sorry guy's [Virgin] far too many of your staff are very lacking), and they were fantastic, they looked through all what had gone on and saw what had gone on, and they went on to help me achieve my goal, although it meant yet another 1 year contract (it supersedes any previous contract every time), this time I was made fully aware of everything, and I was more than happy to agree to what they had kindly done to help rectify things.

Virgin do have 'some' great staff, and when you get through to someone like this, it is fantastic, no messing around, they know what they are doing (I'm not talking about keeping you sweet at all, I mean just those who know their job, that's all), and everything goes nice and smooth, but get one of any number of those who obviously don't have a clue (especially when you know more than they appear to), and boy don't you pay the price, my router was replaced once (self service deal), plug in the new one, pack the old one up and send it back in the same packing, simple right ?

The only thing that had to be done was someone flick a switch at the other end, and I just had to ring the number on the packing, and ask them to do this, so I rang, fast forward 45 minutes of doing every single fault check you can get, and they declare a fault and booked an engineer, he rolled up, took 1 look, said activation, I said yep, 2 minutes later it was sorted, he said he does several of these a week, add up the cost of just this one guy a week doing things that are easily done on the phone, and spread that out round the entire company, it's no wonder why prices can be so high, sorry for the mini rant, I just wanted to show both sides of the coin so to speak, anyway just wanted to mention the new contract, as that was the only bit missing above, hope it helps.

Please delete my other reply when you see it (it's being held for review), no matter how many times I tried, the formatting would vanish, making it into a blinding block of never ending text, I hope this one works properly.

0 Kudos
raptor1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Excellent well writtten post! Smiley Happy Yes it all depends on who is at the end of the phone when you call. I have , and still have issues with Virgin, - very slow speed on broadband ( less that 15mbps download) they assure me it will be sorted around May this year- in fairness they have give me some discounts...but I would rather not have the buffering problems when I am watching Netfilx or Amazon which I subscribe to ..Anyhow nice reply - and I did not know about the new contract taking place every time you decide adjust your package- thanks .
0 Kudos
biddler66
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well what can I say, clearly I am not alone. Appalling customer service, I've been with Virgin for nearly 13 years. To be honest been meaning to sort out my package for a while. I've been paying £92 a month for the XL package, thats an Old V+ box, 60Mb max broadband speed and Talk Anytime landline. So I started looking around found, Virgin were offering on Uswitch Full House Bundle + Movies, New V6 Box, Vivid 200Mb broadband and Talk weekends for £55 per month increasing to £80 after 12 months. So I thought as a loyal customer, I should be entitled to some of that, how wrong I was. 1 hour later, 12 attempts to get through on 150, 9 of them just cut me off I'm speaking to Jordan. Nice chap very polite, told him the story, said lets see what we can do he says.

Offer 1 - Add movies to what I have - no new equipment - £85 pm

Offer 2 - Reduce package I have, charge me £66 pm.

So discussing the logic of this,

Offer 1,  I pay £85 for an increase with movies don't get new equipment and still will be paying more than a new customer after 12 months when theirs increases to £80.

Offer 2, get less but still be paying more than others on better deals.

So when I questioned this with Jordan, he said sorry it was all he could do. I said so loyalty counts for nothing then. He did not reply.

I know it's not Jordan's fault but I felt he did not care about losing Virgin £92 a month, yes that's £1105 per year.

So I have cancelled my contract.

Quite calmly Jordan said he would send out a package for the return of my Superhub, but they do not want the old V+ equipment, they don't make it anymore and it's worthless to them.

Here's the best bit after 3 months I can rejoin as a new customer on all the new benefits they get.

I have asked for a supervisor to call me to discuss this further, why asked Jordan? I have to wait 48 hours for them to do this, we shall see if I get a call.

Clearly Virgin Media are not bothered about retaining your business, something which I was told when talking to a guy at Carphonewarehouse, unlike Sky he said who want to keep loyal customers and offer new incentive deals.

So guess where I'm heading now. SKY. Like raptor1 and many others thoroughly disgusted with the way I have been treated. This is not a value for money company unless you're a new customer, loyalty is not part of your contract.

A word to the wise for all.