Menu
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why am I paying 99p more?

How come everytime Virgin increases its existing customers prices (which are normally the same increase amount as new customer tariffs) I find that my bill is overcharged.

I've just noticed that i'm paying 0.99p more for my 70mb (previously 50mb) broadband only service compared to a new customer 'AFTER OFFERS' 

50mb broadband only currently costs £32.25 w/o any offers.... I'm paying £33.24!

So far Virgin owe me £3.96 back for overpayment.

0 Kudos
connbob
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I paying 99p more?

Hi JitteryPinger,
Is it possible you do not have paperless bills or anything like that, that may add the extra .99?
Take a look on your account, and make sure this is not the case.
Hope this helps!
------------------------
Regards, Conn
(I do not work for VM, just like to help the community out, so I may be wrong Smiley Happy)

Homeworks + 300mbps, TiVo V6 Box, Talk Anytime
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

On my bill (which I receive online) there is only two charges... one for Broadband 70 and another is a loyalty discount of £7.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is something I've witnessed repeatedly over the last 7+ years with Virign, making a new agreement fixes it but can't help but think its against regulations.

I they did this to every Broadband customer (4.9m as of 31st Dec 2015) this would equate to a £4.85m a month profit through overcharging.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The answer is both straightforward and then more complex

You are comparing an old package you are on (Broadband 70) with a new package (Superfibre 50)

To go onto Superfibre 50 you would need to agree a new 12 month contract and lose your upgrade to 70.

So another way of looking at it is your getting a 40 percent speed increase for 99p a month- which you can elect to lose if you want.

Anomalies like this exist throughout VM's customer base. Your original package that you are still on goes up by a percentage each time , which has cumulatively arrived at the price you are paying. 32.25 is a nice round figure to advertise to new customers.

The way top avoid that is to renegotiate every time your contracts initial period has lapsed.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The part regarding the 70/50mb packages having different prices is irrelevant based on past experiences of seeing same speed packages increase with a similar extra cost.... however you later comment regarding the percentage increase does make sense.

Just sucks that Virgin use a percentage on existing customers but not for new... it would be much simpler for Virgin just to say Broadband Only is up £2 and with a phone line £3.

The point I'm making is that I'm, still being charged more unnecessarily, I feel that's not on and should stop.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi JitteryPinger, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're feeling unhappy with paying the extra price. 

As you are on a higher broadband service, the price would be more. 

The new 50mb package includes those customers who had a speed boost from 20mb / 30mb. Customers on 70mb have had a speed boost from 50mb. 

As mentioned by Kippies, if you want to pay the same, it would mean downgrading the package so the ball is in your court now. 

If you do decide you want to downgrade, speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

I'm sorry but what your saying sounds incorrect or would be considered breaking regulations.... the 'automated' 'free' speed boost I al many other customers received was complimentary, it didn't change the tariff pricing what so ever...

I have the right mind to raise the with the ASA and Ofcom for them to evulate as it seems like Virgin is making up its own rules as it stoles along.

Virgin owes me and probably many other customers money back...

I would also love to see the terms and conditions that support your statement above.

👎🏻
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi JitteryPinger, 

Before we perform any speed boosts, we need to re-align our tiers to make sure everyone gets the same. 

Just to give you a rough example of what I mean:

20mb / 30mb customers paying £10pm - upgraded to 50mb

50mb customers paying £15pm - upgraded to 70mb

70mb customers paying £20pm - upgraded to 100mb

100mb customers paying £25pm - upgraded to 150mb

150mb customers paying £35pm - upgraded to 200mb

From this you can see that after the speed boost, customers now on the 50mb plan are still paying what they would have been paying without the boost. 

This is the same for you too. You're still paying the same as what you were when you were on the 50mb plan. 

As there has since been a price rise, this is why you'd be paying the more overall. As I mentioned earlier, if you'd rather save the extra cost then you would need to be downgraded to the lower speed. 

These costs are just an example and not the actual costs. 

Hope that makes more sense now. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Kath,

I understand that the information you have posted is to be taken as a rough idea, however I can't imagine where you came up with some of the information you've disclosed...

For instance, there has never been a 70mb ter on Virgin Media, not until 50mb customers where upgraded as part of the complimentary speed boost rollout,

Besides that, I've since done some investigating on my bills and online and have infect found that the price increase on my account is correct, however is unfair!

Unfair because the standard pricing for tiers 50/100/200 is £32.25/37.25/45.25....

I understand that I may be getting 70mb/s compared to 50mb/s however that was supposed to be a complementary upgrade for existing customers, however you've now decided that the freebie shall become a premium... 

Sure 99p for an extra 20/2mbps is great but misleading.

I need to make sure in future that I cancel my Virgin Broadband and join again as a new customer every time you increase the price.... I suppose it will go up another £3 soon too.

0 Kudos