Menu
StateBiscuit
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What is telephone password?

I've been with Virgin for our 2.5 years now and the countless times I've had to contact support team over the phone, I've quoted them the same password that I've been using to log in to online website. Same password, I quoted when I upgraded my package over the phone. Finally, the same password when I had a chat with the online team. Now I called again and everyone told me I'm giving them the wrong password and it should be the telephone password that I used when I signed up. No one would say what the password is even though the account holder has given me full authority but whatever, security protocols. Got transferred to a custom relation (?) team and the lady over the phone wouldn't give me the password, fair enough. She spoke to my mother, refused to confirm the password (WHY?!) and got a new password out of her. It's a word in different language and I really really want to know how that person spelled it out on the system. Then again, wouldn't even confirm to me how the password is set. After all of this, tells me to move the account to my name as I deal with the account day to day basis which is such a weird suggestion. 
It's been such a frustrating day, on one had, I'd get told my password is wrong, then I'd get told they cannot read it or can't tell me. They won't even tell me if I could change it online at all!!!!!!!!! Funny how this information isn't needed when I'm giving money or making payments.

Can someone here tell me where this telephone password came from and where can I change it? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: What is telephone password?

Your falling victim to legislation, specifically DPA.

If you aren't the account holder, the only way VM SHOULD allow you to deal with the account is if the account holder is present and gives them their password on the call.

Thats not a choice VM have made, its down to DPA considerations.

If you are dealing with the day to day running of the account, you need to confirm power of attorney with VM , or if you are resident at the address the primary account is held at, get a transfer of engagements sorted. At which point YOU can set the password and deal with it. Which is why the (quite sensible) suggestion was made to you.

To answer your question, the password you are looking for would have been set up when the account was registered, by the primary account holder and is separate to the My VM password which is what at a guess  is what you have been using up till now.

0 Kudos
StateBiscuit
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. Since Day 1 I've done everything on this account. That includes setting up the account, password and what not. Anyways, the account holder was sitting with me while I was speaking to VM and even they weren't being told! But yeah, why so much mystery account password and how can i get it changed? Also, Account holder has given me full authority.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The Account Holder will need to speak to Virgin Media themselves and clear appropriate security.

They'll then be able to reset the Telephone Password and then give it to you if that's what is agreed.

You'll then have the correct password to continue to deal with most of the account. There will still be some things that are only for the Account Holder to deal with.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
chatz
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here, have submitted a formal complaint.

It would be beneficial if VM informed its customers about the change of password system (now you have to have a number as well as characters).

Same old problems no communication.

0 Kudos
hotel2tango
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've just run into the same problem. This password is completely unknown by me and the original account holder.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi hotel2tango, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with the telephone password. 

This is the password that the account holder sets as a data protection password. 

If the account holder is unable to remember this then we can ask other questions and then reset it. 

Just give the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they will be able to do this for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos