Menu
floramac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virginmedia Installation Problems - 2 months and waiting!

We moved to a new house in Dec of 2015. We checked before we moved and according to VM website our new house was cable enabled and we could look forward to High Speed Broadband and a decent TV package. Installation was arranged for Dec 23rd.

The day before our installation, VM called to say that it wouldn't be possible due to the cabling at the bottom of our drive not being long enough. We were told an engineer needed to rectify this and this would take 4-6 weeks as some digging and permissions would be needed. We were disappointed but we accepted this was a one off and waited.

During January we witnessed several workmen digging/drilling where the CAB TV Manhole was so assumed things were progressing. We had a letter through to confirm things were being sorted and eventually we got a call arranging a second installation date of 17 February.

So, this week we were expecting to be connected. We had someone visit our house last week asking where our TV was and where we wanted the cabling. Nothing was said by this person to indicate any issues but AGAIN, we had a call the day before saying our installation would not go ahead due to some other issue (which we don't know what). 

Our house is set up a slope and is one of 3 detached houses with a shared drive up to our respective parking areas, but the cabling manhole is fortunately at the side of our property albeit at the bottom of the drive that leads up to the 3 houses. They could potentially run a cable up the side of our house without touching the drive. If this is the problem, VM haven't indicated this but I think its extremely false advertising on your site if you're saying we can get all these services, when actually we can't! 

We've been told it will be another 4-6 week wait which is unacceptable. We NEED Broadband especially for personal and work purposes and are incurring costs on our mobile data plans in the meantime as a stop gap. We have no idea how long it will take for them to get this sorted or if they will just cancel the installation again with some excuse. If we can't get Broadband for some time, then the least VM can do is offer us a data SIM with a decent amount of data (at last 20GB - 50GB+ should be compensation for waiting).

Please can you give us some idea of how long this process will take!

0 Kudos
TiGZ
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virginmedia Installation Problems - 2 months and waiting!

Looks like we are in similar boats... Im sorry to hear your frustration, I just wish they would be a little more transparent with the works.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi floramac

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to pop by with your post regarding the construction delays to your installation. My apologies this is still a concern Smiley Sad

I do appreciate the frustration this is causing you and understand this is not ideal, but the work is necessary before we can complete the installation as I know you are aware.

When was the last time you spoke to the teams to find out what is going on with the new property works? If you've not contacted them in the last couple of weeks then for you to keep up to date with the work that is being done for you, you can contact Construction directly on 0345 045 0595. They are on hand to provide updates and support for you if you want to check in with them and their opening hours are Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.

Please keep us posted and let us know what they say. If there's anything else we can do to support you from the forums, just let us know and we'll do our best to assist.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
floramac
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How long have you been waiting? Is yours a similar scenario?
0 Kudos
floramac
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this... We will try the number you've given us.

Its now 1 March and we did receive a letter in response to my written / emailed complaint (via VM website). It was a stock printed response and simply reassured us things were in progress but still gave us no idea of WHAT the issue actually is. We are yet to see any engineers doing what we assume would be laying cabling near our house. We've had no calls/visits to discuss the next steps. It's all a bit vague. The longer this goes on, the more I dread it's only going to be another last minute phone call saying, "Sorry there is still a problem - it will be another 4-6 weeks".

We are relying on DATA Sims at the moment for internet and the current one we have with EE runs out this week (as it was a 100GB Xmas promo). After that we are back to using just our own personal data on our phones, or switching to another data SIM - which will be far lower GB's than what we've had, all of which costs us money as we don't want to be tied into a SIM contract for 12 months.

I've never had cause to berate VM beforehand and both myself and my partner have been very loyal customers since the days of NTL, however we are very close to jumping ship, even if it means we get lower speeds from another provider. 

All we are asking is for some communication to keep us informed... That's not too much to ask from a 'Communications' company is it??! 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi floramac

I'd be happy to take a further look into this if my colleagues on the support line have not yet updated you with the situation? If you could get back to me on the private message I'm sending to you, which you can find in the envelope next to your forum name, then that would be great Smiley Happy

I hope to speak to you soon and we can take look into what the delay is for you here.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
floramac
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen... I may as well reply publicly  on this forum as I want people to witness that this kind of customer service simply isn't good enough. This isn't aimed at you as you've been helpful so far as the only one to actually give us any clear answers, but the Virginmedia system as a whole. 

After our conversations last week, I was somewhat hopeful we would be hearing back or seeing some progress. It's now Saturday and guess what, nothing happened. I was off all last week and nobody turned up all week (even just to inspect the site) and no further work has been done.

Chris (my partner) had a missed call from VM Complaints No on Friday and when he called back he was transferred to the Construction Line and spoke to a lady who seemed to have no idea of what was going on. He got quite annoyed with the person on the line as she couldn't give any coherent answers and very much gave the impression that she wanted him off the line. Firstly she told him the construction team were still looking into it, then that the construction manager would call us once he knew what the problem was, then suddenly she came up with a date of 22nd of April. Chris told her this wasn't good enough as this was well past the 4-6 weeks estimate we've been given to resolve this. Where has this date come from if they STILL don't know what the issue is. Suffice to say the call ended with Chris quite angry and we are still none the wiser. 

I then called the Construction Line yesterday afternoon as well and spoke to a person called [Content removed]. She said she could see that our case had been causing some confusion and that someone called [Content removed] was dealing with our file? She told me that there are several departments who have somehow got our case completely muddled. Apparently the initial construction team (presumably those who did some digging up in January) had told the next department that our problem was sorted, but then the next team had flagged that it wasn't... I got confused at this point as I have no idea now who is responsible for what!

All [Content removed] did confirm was that the 'problem' is some electrical cabling is in the way of point A and point B to where the cabling needs to route up to our property. When we looked outside our drive yesterday and there are 2 CAB/TV Manholes (one big, one small) and 1 ELECTRICITY board one in the middle. See photo:

Cabling Points.jpg

Is this the issue?? Surely it's a case of digging around it?  She said there needs to be some kind of inspection as to whether this was 'third party damage' ??? or whether they need to send out a redirection team to fix this... At this rate they may as well send One Direction as they might actually turn up and do something! She then said she didn't have time to look at our file in detail as she had several other people in her phone queue!!!! But... surely resolving one persons problem will mean one less person IN your phone queue??! Smiley Sad Apparently [Content removed] is calling us back on Mon/Tues (I'm not hopeful!) with an update...

Either way, we are incredibly frustrated how long this is taking. NO-ONE will tell us if we are just a lost cause. NO-ONE will tell us who is going to fix what, just phone this number, phone that number. I wish they would one way or another as we are now almost 4 months without proper internet. Absolutely NOT good enough. Please help us if you can Karen as I absolutely despair at the various numbers we are calling as nobody is giving us any idea of timescales or IF this can be resolved.

Not very happy!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. To send a Private Message (PM) please click the envelope icon (top right). Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi floramac

I am very sorry this is still ongoing and you were not contacted as promised when we had agreed to call you at the end of last week Smiley Sad

I'm contacting them again on your behalf to see if I can get answers for you. I do appreciate you getting back to me and letting me know what's been advised to you, and the fact that this does appear as mentioned to have been confused within the department.

We'll get to the bottom of this for you and hopefully be able to shed some light as soon as we can.

Once I've got some feedback from the contractors for you, I'll reply back to you.

Speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
fittonmatt
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just googled 'Virgin broadband installation issues' and found all this (among others!!) ......

We are due to be installed TOMORROW.....and GO LIVE and GREAT THINGS ARE ROUND THE CORNER as promised by the regular Virgin emails....

However I received a call and email to say there are unforeseen issues that need rectifying with the installation.  Thanks but no thanks.  I've only waited 2 weeks already, cancelled Sky (which stopped today) and now have no broadband until the 12th.  I hope you get something for free from Virgin!

Sadly after speaking to a useless reprobate on the customer services line I have lost immediate faith, booked in BT infinity and they're 'pressing go' on 12th (9 days).....which I know WILL happen!!  

Thanks Virgin, best of luck conning others but I am going with people who stick to their word on installations.  

0 Kudos