Menu
gimpymoo
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin told me that dropping TV and Phone, having only broadband would initiate a 12 month contract?

Being out of contract, I ring Virgin and say "Please cancel my TV and phone", they reply "Yes, I can do that but it would start a 12 month contract".

I was short on time so just said thanks, but no thanks.

Will try again tomorrow when I have more time but surely that is not right?

If it is, I will just cancel the lot. It is grand being a "loyal customer" Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin told me that dropping TV and Phone, having only broadband would initiate a 12 month contract?

hiya @gimpymoo first i've seen this normally the 12 months contract renewal happens when you add a service, i would be calling back and hopefully get a different/better agent, i would ask them to explain it. and ask what part of the terms and conditions apply.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
gimpymoo
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin told me that dropping TV and Phone, having only broadband would initiate a 12 month contract?

Yes, good idea.

Quoting their own T&C's would be a good place to start.

0 Kudos
lynnep
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

we have had the same problem we have been loyal customers for over ten years and now that son has left home have decided that we know longer require tv and telephone and now only require broadband, we cancelled on 31st dec. we have been told its £38 if we don't arrange a 12month contract or £28 if we sign up to 12moth contract. New customers pay £22 and our daughter is paying £19.80 (all prices for 50mb) so looking into going to sky were it only £17. I don't think its fair how they treat loyal customers. I have been on hot deals and cant believe some of the retention deals that some people get offered we have been offered nothing in comparision

gimpymoo wrote:

Being out of contract, I ring Virgin and say "Please cancel my TV and phone", they reply "Yes, I can do that but it would start a 12 month contract".

I was short on time so just said thanks, but no thanks.

Will try again tomorrow when I have more time but surely that is not right?

If it is, I will just cancel the lot. It is grand being a "loyal customer" Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
gimpymoo
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I rang back.

Legal team said "yep, that's the way it is".

Cancelled all 3 services (Top tier bundle), 30 days notice.

No way was I committing to 12 months on standard price.

Not sure who the idiot is, me for not leaving sooner or them.

I would have considered something were it offered but the lack of customer service considering being a customer for 10+ years was shocking.

Lesson learned and a much lower regard for the Virgin Media brand as a whole after this experience.

We needed to save money as decorating the house and would likely have gone back to them for TV once all was done but after this sorry mess, will look elsewhere.

After 10 years, I would say I am surprised but I will try to find a company who understands what customer service is.

0 Kudos
gimpymoo
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Received my Roku 2 today.

With a free Now TV trial so see how it goes, I have access to the main channels, LIVE and ability to watch all the catchup I need.

Two boxes can also be used at the same time.

Sky obviously want my money more than Virgin at this point.

0 Kudos
lynnep
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

so have you left and gone to sky whats a Roku 2
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hiya @lynnep Roku2 -> https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=roku+2
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
some
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had the same thing. Wanted to change my Internet package, apparently can't do it without a new 12 month contract, so going to move to Sky instead, which is much cheaper anyway!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin told me that dropping TV and Phone, having only broadband would initiate a 12 month co...

Hi lynnep

Sorry to hear of the issues you were having while trying to get a better price for a broadband only deal. ​​​​

I can appreciate how confusing it is, especially with so many different prices being banded about. It's disappointing to learn we weren't bale to keep you with one of the offers. 

We generally offer the customer a better price in return for a new 12 month minimum term contract and generally new customers end up paying the same as existing ones once their initial offer has ended. 

Our offers and deals change all the time so it may be worth while checking in again before you decide if you want to leave for another provider. 

I do hope you stay with us and if you need anything else you know where we are. 

Many thanks
Ian_LP

Forum Team

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos