Menu
kristianos
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media customer service

Hi, I have a broadband package that's not working since last week. Today an engineer came by and said that he can't find my cable in the main box and that it's gonna be fixed on 4th of Jan. I phoned virgin media and explained that I have upcoming courseworks, exams and I need to research my dissertation topic, however all I could hear was sorry and they can't speed things up and can't cancel my contract without a fee of 250£. How can a company conduct business like this? Is there any way to avoid the early disconnecting fee?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media customer service

hiya @kristianos not being about to find your cable on the cabinet is a bit odd unless its a real mess, but engineer should have stayed and checked it.. only thing i can suggest is calling back and ask for a senior engineer to be sent out.. since you can only normal cancel your account due to e.g. price increase, or stalemate over account issues, for that would need to go into the complaint process -> http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It had occurred to me that,  if all was well up until last week and now your cable seems to be "missing",  then I would be curious to know if a neighbour had an installation last week and that is maybe what happened to your cable.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
kristianos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I phoned Virgin Media again and they said I need to wait until 4th of January or I need to pay 250£ if I want to cancel because my cooling period terminated on 21 Nov and my broadband stopped working on 27 Nov.  From what I know, no one installed any broadband on my street.                                                   Also regarding the engineer this morning he assumed that someone cut out the cable since he couldn't find it in the cabinet(If this is the case wouldn't it be their fault ? after all it is their cabinet).                                                                                                                                                                                     Seems the only thing they can say is 'Sorry' and 'You need to wait until January or pay the disconnection fee)......Waiting a week maybe two I would understand...but not a month and a week.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It all sounds a bit odd. At the very least you deserve a proper explanation of the problem and why it will take so long to resolve it. 

I would make a formal complaint. Their problem,as you say, and you deserve to be compensated for it.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

possible reason for time delay, is this would be passed to the construction dept., 2 man job to repull the cable, and can deal with any underground work required, other main cause of delay is how many jobs the construction team already have on..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes but an explanation to the customer would be useful, especially as it was working and then something happened.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos