Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (262 Views)

Virgin aggressive media

I decided to end my long term use with Virgin Media and cancel my broad band phone and TV today.
Virgin are insisting I pay them £240
To leave them as I have a contract of with them.
I have not signed any 12 month contract and have now due to their extremely aggressive manor have cancelled my direct debuit with them and will be reporting the whole episode to Ofcom.
Listed are some of there mistakes
1) they first told me they had sent me an email explaining a contract ,which when they gave the address was not my email.
2) They then said because I opted for a promo on half pride Sky Movies that was renewing my 12 month contract. Rubbish
3) I am getting the full amount of discount. Even though I'm only receiving the basic package and half price sky movies yet paying over £80 a month.
I am totally unaware of any contract and will not return to Virgin if this is the attitude Of customer services. I phoned them giving 30 day notice yet they act like this , they will have to post me the bill and the £240 or so they want, I will see them in court.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (499 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎18-03-2017 21:28

Re: Virgin aggressive media

Just to give you a heads up...

You would be better engaging with them than cancelling your DD as that will leave them open to mark up your credit file, assuming you may want credit going forward..

The 240 quid is a capped EDF fee- there is a reason they are applying it to your account- it may by erroneous- again you would be better engaging with them...

Your being "aware or not" if a change in your package is instigating a new contract term is not really relevant, as long as they have their TOS sorted...

So to summarise you would be better coming to some sort of agreement rather than giving them carte blanche to do what they want to your credit file...Im not saying they are right , just pointing out where you are with the way the modern world works...

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Superuser
Message 3 of 5 (482 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎18-03-2017 22:06

If you have made any changes to your package this automatically invokes a new contract. As long as Virgin have proven your identity then if you argee verbally to a new package this is sufficeint to invoke a new contract. This applies to all providers not just Virgin Media. They are also correct in that the half price offer for Sky Movies is dependant on it being taken for 12 months. One month rolling contracts are not offered at a discount.

I would also advise against canelling your Direct Debit, as it could well ruin your credit record.

OFCOM only collects data regarding issues with providers. CISAS is the body that deals with issues & disputes concerning Virgin Media, & they will have expected you to have exhausted all avenues of resolution with Virgin before they will handle your case.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Message 4 of 5 (392 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎19-03-2017 15:44

just to add Ofcom wouldn't do anything they don't get involved in individual cases best to take it to www.cisas.org.uk you can view virginmedia complaint code of practice via -> http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5 (380 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎19-03-2017 15:45

good reply nodrogd. i have worked with both the financial and telecommunications ombudsmans. too often on here people will say they are going straight to them, but the ombudsman will not be interested, not at this stage. you have to go through all the hoops (which i advise is fully documented) with the company beng complained about first and follow their complaints procedure. the ombudsman will then make a decision based on evidence from both sides. but......getting to the end will take some time. one case i dealt with went on for three years. not typical but no resolution will be happening from an ombudsmans end after a couple of weeks.

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (500 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎18-03-2017 21:28

Just to give you a heads up...

You would be better engaging with them than cancelling your DD as that will leave them open to mark up your credit file, assuming you may want credit going forward..

The 240 quid is a capped EDF fee- there is a reason they are applying it to your account- it may by erroneous- again you would be better engaging with them...

Your being "aware or not" if a change in your package is instigating a new contract term is not really relevant, as long as they have their TOS sorted...

So to summarise you would be better coming to some sort of agreement rather than giving them carte blanche to do what they want to your credit file...Im not saying they are right , just pointing out where you are with the way the modern world works...

Superuser
Message 3 of 5 (483 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎18-03-2017 22:06

If you have made any changes to your package this automatically invokes a new contract. As long as Virgin have proven your identity then if you argee verbally to a new package this is sufficeint to invoke a new contract. This applies to all providers not just Virgin Media. They are also correct in that the half price offer for Sky Movies is dependant on it being taken for 12 months. One month rolling contracts are not offered at a discount.

I would also advise against canelling your Direct Debit, as it could well ruin your credit record.

OFCOM only collects data regarding issues with providers. CISAS is the body that deals with issues & disputes concerning Virgin Media, & they will have expected you to have exhausted all avenues of resolution with Virgin before they will handle your case.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Message 4 of 5 (393 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎19-03-2017 15:44

just to add Ofcom wouldn't do anything they don't get involved in individual cases best to take it to www.cisas.org.uk you can view virginmedia complaint code of practice via -> http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practic...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 5 (381 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Paulmax
‎19-03-2017 15:45

good reply nodrogd. i have worked with both the financial and telecommunications ombudsmans. too often on here people will say they are going straight to them, but the ombudsman will not be interested, not at this stage. you have to go through all the hoops (which i advise is fully documented) with the company beng complained about first and follow their complaints procedure. the ombudsman will then make a decision based on evidence from both sides. but......getting to the end will take some time. one case i dealt with went on for three years. not typical but no resolution will be happening from an ombudsmans end after a couple of weeks.