Menu
lee789
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Price Increase November 2016

There was a £3.99 increase in my package price in February, and now another £3.49 in November. That's an overall increase of around 10% in  the space of 9 months.  I'm not sure how Virgin justify this, especially when the annual rate of inflation is less than 1%. I called customer services for an explanation, and they told me it was to ensure that Virgin had the investment to continue improving it's services, and to maintain it's position as the Number one provider in the UK. Well frankly if you are investing in the improvement of services, I haven't noticed it. My TiVO box is diabolically slow, and my broadband speed is about 20% of the advertised 200mbps. Both checked by Virgin engineer, and no fault found!  As for being number one in the UK, why should customers be forced to pay price increases of up to 10 times the rate of inflation to subsidise Virgin's massively expensive & misleading TV advertising campaigns?   If you were the best, you wouldn't need to advertise so much, because word of mouth would do the job for you. I've been a customer of Virgin and Telewest for more than 20 years, but I've now had enough of their greed! 

Bungle72
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Price Increase November 2016

same here, another £36 extra a year to pay for broadband only.

lee789
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, it's a damn joke. Virgin told me they had decided to switch price increases from February to November, but had no idea why that decision had been taken. I suspect it was because it gave the greedy beggars the opportunity to hit customers twice in one year, unless of course they are having a quick collection to buy Branson a new bike! You can bet they will switch it back to February again at some future date so that they can hit us twice in the same year again.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

lee789 wrote:
Yeah, it's a damn joke. Virgin told me they had decided to switch price increases from February to November, but had no idea why that decision had been taken. I suspect it was because it gave the greedy beggars the opportunity to hit customers twice in one year, unless of course they are having a quick collection to buy Branson a new bike! You can bet they will switch it back to February again at some future date so that they can hit us twice in the same year again.

That is interesting but, who did you here it from? Their telephone reps have a habit of saying anything they feel. 

In the circumstances the VM Forum team should confirm this one way or another. They are quick enough to justify the rise so how about a confirmation or denial of this change?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
lee789
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Quite right Frank. I thought their once a year inflation busting price increases were bad enough, but if they are going to start sneakily changing price increase dates to get even more out of us, that's not acceptable. I'm currently on a special offer package price, but it goes up by £40 a month from October, and then there's that additional £3.49 in November. That puts me on £105 a month for broadband that's nowhere close to it's advertised speed, 300+ channels of what is mostly garbage, and a telephone service, which is actually OK, but would be a lot cheaper for me if I switched it to a SIM only mobile that has no £19 a month line rental. Maybe a lot of other customers are thinking along the same lines, and leaving. Virgin might be trying to plug the financial gaps by hitting the rest of us.
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

lee789 wrote:

That is interesting but, who did you here it from? Their telephone reps have a habit of saying anything they feel. 

In the circumstances the VM Forum team should confirm this one way or another. They are quick enough to justify the rise so how about a confirmation or denial of this change?

You are asking for the impossible Frank, and you know it...

VM staff  will NEVER admit to ANYTHING...The usual 'guff' is the reply that they are only passing on the relevant information, and have no further news. 

They will stall, and pass the buck in any/every way possible.....Probably easier to get blood from a stone than get a definate, concrete answer to a question from the VM staff...

Bungle72
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

oh look yet another price rise, this time another £24 a year on basic broadband, the previous hike was £36 a year. How does one cancel the service, we have a bt line and i really do not care that it is slower.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, 

Thanks for your posts and we appreciate that no one likes to hear about a price rise. To make sure we are able to offer the best services we can, we sometimes need to review our prices.

For information on why we're increasing our costs, have a look here: News: Price Rise

If you're unhappy then it is the perfect opportunity for you to look at reviewing your overall package with us so it would be great if you could either get in touch with our team via Webchat or via 150 / 0345 454 1111. Our teams will be more than happy to take a look at this with you.

Let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos